1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 17: All it takes is one big quarter, just ask Doug Williams

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Are you kidding? Everyone knows Shanahan has been the guy since Bruce Allen was hired. The odds of Jerry Gray getting the Redskin position are minimal.

Maybe the only way he survives the purge is if the job is the payoff for being a pawn in circumventing the Rooney Rule.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Shanny is as much the Redskin coach as Grimm and Wanny were the Steeler coaches. That said, no way is Snyder smart enough to go with who he thinks is the better man even if it is not the popular decision.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

For the 245,875th time . . .

Three cheers for any team that goes 16-0 (or 162-0) . . . as long as their teams were built with smart drafting, smart trading and smart scouting

If they were built with a fat wallet, then Three Jeers.

I guess the term "level playing field" really confuses people, because they think it means level once they get on the field. Means nothing of the sort.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Everyone knew the Steelers would promote either Grimm (hello, Tribune-Review!) or Whisenhunt, too. Didn't quite happen that way, did it? And that's why you still do the interview.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Gray is smart to interview because if he comes off well, Bruce Allen might help set him up elsewhere even if he doesn't stay on the Redskins' staff. Or Allen puts a good word for him in with Shanahan. It's all about self-preservation at this point.

6. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

We are talking about Dan Snyder. There is no way he is going to hire a position coach to be a HC after the Zorn disaster.

7. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

You always do the interview. ALWAYS.

As incestuous as the NFL is? You never know where it will lead. HC job elsewhere, coordinator job down the road with some of the same people....you don't burn a bridge in the NFL that flippantly.

Is Snyder a POS for using Gray as his 'token' interview? Yes. Does Gray still do that interview? Hell yes.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

But you still do the interview.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Thing is, it doesn't sound like Gray has interviewed with Allen. So now what?

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't get the stink about the Colts laying down against the Jets. The first stringers had to know they'd get yanked at some point and only managed 15 points through more than two quarters. Curtis Painter just made Jim Sorgi's next contract renegotiation that much more interesting.

These last couple of weeks of the season make me think the NFL doesn't need another couple of league games. Though I don't know why you see teams that aren't in the playoff hunt cutting kickers or other players in the final weeks of the season. The hay is in the barn at that point.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I can understand why Colts fans are pissed. For one, they were denied a chance to see their team make history, and, more important, the recent history of the team says that late-season rest equals an early playoff exit. I'm guessing many fans are thinking, " OK, they gave up the chance at perfection and now they're gonna blow it in the postseason — again." From a fan standpoint, totally understandable to be upset.

12. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

What I don't get is if Peyton started the third quarter, why not play the whole thing and pull him for the 4TH? It would make sense to either give him a half, or let him play the third.

Second, you give Painter the ball on his own 10 yard line? A third string QB? Fail. At least let the guy take over a drive somewhere near midfield and let him get a rhythym going. Either that, or just let him handoff for a quarter.

Draft saved Draft deleted