1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 15

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by justgladtobehere, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

He will probably split the backfield with Conner next year.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

My hope is he can be a strong No. 2 running back behind Conner. I wouldn't want to count on Samuels doing this consistently, but he showed he can be effective as a runner and he had already demonstrated what he can do as a receiver.

3. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ. No one told me Jared Goof and PC Principal were 13 point favorites.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

JaySam's skills actually line up much better with what LeVeon Bell brought to the table. At NCSU, JaySam did everything except pass out programs at the gate and mix the Gatorade. The versatility was impressive.

Not at all a slight to James Conner. If the Steelers are smart, both are used. Samuels has undeniable skills and versatility. Conner has deceptive speed and is a battering ram. Plenty of snaps and opportunities for both in a modern NFL backfield through the course of a game and season.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Good lord, I didn't realize that either. It opened at 8 1/2 and went up to 13 when Wentz was ruled out. No capable team in playoff contention, even with a backup QB, should be that big an underdog. With some notable exceptions like the Redskins, of course.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The Patriots have five losses for the first time since 2009. That was also the last time they played on wild card weekend.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

At least six VERY likely playoff teams lost this weekend. Weird.

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

If the Saints lose one more game, it will be the first season since 1997 that no one wins more than 13 AND everyone won at least three.

Since the 16-game schedule was implemented, there has never been a season where no one won more than 13 and everyone won at least four

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That is true to a point. He is already every bit as good, if not better, than Conner as a receiver. One area that Conner was matching Bell that Samuels can't, at least so far, is blitz pick-up. For example, he whiffed on one yesterday and it cost the Steelers a sack.

Samuels just hadn't shown much as a runner. He's got power, but he looked explosive and quick against the Patriots. I just wonder if that was the Patriots getting slow on defense or did he simply play a lot better in his second start. The offensive line was an important part of that, too. The Steelers have been inconsistent run blocking this season. The pass protection was fantastic against the Raiders, but there was nowhere to run. Yesterday, they got both jobs done most of the time.

You're right that both should be used and I'm guessing that is the plan. Yesterday was simply the first time Samuels had shown he could make an impact as a runner.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

None named Indianapolis. Thanks a lot, perpetually overrated Cowboys.

/TitansFanboi

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I missed the late games, and my head is still spinning from the Rams collapse.

The Steelers had another star arrive in the back field??

Instead of bitching, perhaps LeVeon should have been thanking the Steelers to have to line to give him $12 million guaranteed this year.

He ain't getting big money. No way, no how.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Is Nick Foles becoming Earl Morrallor is Carson Wentz Wally Pip/Drew Bledsoe

Draft saved Draft deleted