1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 15: What's the Morrall to the story?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

That post PROVES you didn't watch him play.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I did watch him play quite a bit, Simon. Not as much as you did, but enough to have an opinion on the topic. Marino had a tremendous feel for the pocket and an ability to buy time without being able to run fast, but his lines weren't as bad in pass protection as you are making them out to be.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Your disavowing the ridiculous "he was a statue" drone at least gets you a seat at the table.

But Marino always set, and fired. He gladly took incompletions instead of sacks. Which makes his QB rating even more fucking remarkable.

He had five years of Dwight surrounded by drek to begin his career, and then Webb on the blindside from 1990 till the end.

That was it.

Yes, children, the release was THAT quick.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He also gladly forced balls into coverage rather than taking sacks, but overall the results were worth it most of the time. Marino came into the league at about the time when I started watching the NFL seriously, so I remember well just how good he was in his prime. I think a lot of people remember him at the end, when he couldn't move at all, so they underestimate that part of his game.

I think perhaps you aren't giving the lines he played with quite enough credit. You don't hit that many deep balls without some help up front, no matter how quick your release is. But I think we're on close enough ground to agree to slightly disagree.

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

The whole premise was that Marino didn't get help from his offensive lines, which he did. I don't care how quick your release is, you don't go through a season and only get sacked 10 times and not have good pass protection.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Marino's release was lightning-quick. No one sane is debating that.

7. Simon_Cowbell

He was sacked 6 times in 612 dropbacks 20 years ago with one of the worst collections of talent the league has ever seen.

The offensive line was very bad.

8. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I'm not debating his release. It was as fast as anybody I've seen. There have been some pretty quick defensive linemen, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted