1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 15 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wannabeu, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I was just thinking that I hope the 49ers can run the table for the same reason...

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

A loss would drop the Bengals to 5-9, clinching yet another losing season. After a short surge that included the AFC North Division Championship in 2005, the team is going in the wrong direction.

Given that and the off-field problems of so many players, you have to think Marvin Lewis is in danger of losing his job.

3. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

SF gives away 5 yards, faces 3rd and 9 with the game in the balance ... and Cincy lets Gore go up the middle for 11. Incredible. As in incredibly inept.

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Did anybody watch the game? I was wondering how Shaun Hill played (he's a Kansas native and I've once wrote a story about him). His stats looked solid considering he's hardly ever played an NFL game.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly. I'm amazed at just how consistently awful the defense has been for the Bengals.

Palmer has to be considered a big disappointment as well. He has really struggled of late. Yes, he was great when the Bengals were dominating up front, had great receivers and an effective running game. Things haven't been so easy this year and Palmer has not responded well to the adversity.

kingcreole, you could definitely argue that he outplayed Carson Palmer. Palmer hit one bomb, and it was a beauty, but that was about it.

6. DisembodiedOwlHead

I thought Faulk and Deion actually offered some warranted criticism of Palmer -- that he was making his decisions pre-snap and missed some Bengals receivers who were gouging the 49ers on the seams. I hardly get that type of acute analysis on Sundays on CBS or FOX.

Hill was solid-to-good ... not sure how he would play against an upper-level defense, though. Cincy was that bad tonight (and has been most of the year, what a train wreck).

7. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Few Cin-SF thoughts:

1. Gumbel saying "Al Gore" hobbles off the field was hilarious. Him saying he knew he was going to do it might have even been better.

2. I don't know if any NFL team has ever quit in a game. But if one has, it was those Cincinnati Bengals.

3. Marshall Faulk had a great line after Hill nearly got his receiver killed by leading him into a decleater. He said something along the lines of "When my QB did that to me, I'd head back into the huddle and ask him if he was OK. When he said 'yes,' I'd say 'good, because I'm not.' "

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Sooooo...
    After the Green Bay-Dallas game that started the NFL Network's coverage season, we've gotten Chicago-Washington (eh), Denver-Houston (eh), San Fran-Cincinnati (ugh), with Pittsburgh-St. Louis (yuck) and Dallas-Carolina (gouge my eyes out now) next week.
    Anybody still bitching about not getting the NFL Network on their cable system?

9. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I'm one those guys who loves watching football no matter who is playing, so yeah, I'm im still in bitch mode......wait no, that came out wrong.

10. DisembodiedOwlHead

The Al Gore line was great. You can tell Gumbel spends roughly 5 minutes per week on show prep.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

If the Patriots are 15-0 going into its NFL Network game in two weeks with the Giants, yeah, you can bet more people will be more vocal about it.

But not me, because I get NFL Network on Comcast's sports tier package. ;D

12. DisembodiedOwlHead

I don't understand the complaints ... you either get the network, or ... don't you live in a place with a sports bar or 15? Go out and spend 3 hours among the huddled masses watching huddles (or no-huddles, depending).

Draft saved Draft deleted