1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 15 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Dec 9, 2014.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I couldn't even watch the fourth quarter. That game was just bad. I'm someone who enjoys watching good defense, but that was brutal.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Makes me feel even better about how I feel.

Prisco might be the biggest idiot that covers the game.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Somebody got to him. That's for sure. Now somebody needs to get to Roman and let Kap run.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of Prisco, and his Twitter replies don't make him look that good, but it's a pretty weak debate if Deadspin (and the NYT) are hanging their hat on the fact that the probabilities are 19 percent winning if they go for it and 15 percent winning if they don't. That's hardly a GODDAMMIT YOU IDIOT kind of discrepancy.

And given what the Rams were doing last night, I didn't get the feeling they were going to score. They had no running game, and a quarterback who can't roll out. They did get the ball back with three minutes to go, after all, and had it at midfield at the two-minute warning.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You get the feeling they were going to get a better chance to score a td than from the 1?

Whether they score or not it's a ridiculous call, that offence was never driving the field with under 3 minutes left to score a td. But they did get within 5 yards of fg range.

I keep hearing the games over if they get stuffed. Are you playing to extend the game or win the game?
    The game was over the minute they decided to take the points.

6. LongTimeListener

That isn't true at all. As things played out, they had first down at midfield at the two-minute warning with two timeouts.

I did not think they were going to score on fourth down, not at all.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

better chances of scoring a td, 4th and goal from 1 or 1st and ten from 50 with Shaun Hill QBing? I'm not sure they would have scored from the one but I damn well know they weren't scoring from the 50 on that D.

What would have been nice is first and ten from the 50 needing only a fg. It was a chickenshit call.

8. LongTimeListener

That's certainly an opinion. But as I noted, Deadspin is pinning its critique of Prisco's column on the 19%/15% lean toward going for it. That's hardly conclusive. Given the quality of the Rams' offense and the Cardinals' defense, I'm sure the percentage gain by going for it would have been even lower. (I don't think that bot factors in the specific units in question.)

It was really about a 50-50 call. Fans always want to go for it.

9. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Yeah, the Rams running game isn't exactly stellar and the Cardinals defense is generally very strong.

I still would have gone for it.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I'm surprised the math is that low, I hadn't read anything on the pct.

What I don't understand is if you don't think they can score from the 1 what makes you think they are driving from their own 30 to score? I'd take my chances on one play from the one.

Also, the fact that Phil Sims thought it was a good call makes me a little more confident it wasn't.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I agree with this. When *were* they going to score that TD if not there?

12. LongTimeListener

They have two punt return TDs and three defensive TDs this season, so there's that. (And IIRC they did force a fumble deep in Cardinals territory and came oh-so-close to getting it.)

But with that much time left, they easily could have been looking at first-and-goal in the final minute instead of fourth-and-goal there.

My main takeaway, though, is that based on history it is not the obvious call it is being portrayed as.

Draft saved Draft deleted