1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 14: Ryan Fitzpatrick, the $59 million albatross

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Just watching a rerun of Tebow at the Vikings on the NFL Network, and notice the original broadcast was on Fox. If it was an AFC at NFC game, shouldn't it have been on CBS? Has that convention changed? I thought any time an AFC team was on the road, CBS would show the game, and any time an NFC team was on the road it would be on Fox.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Hadn't thought of that, but good eye. They did it because of a chain reaction starting with the flexing of Lions-Saints to NBC and Colts-Patriots back to CBS, which left the schedule too CBS-heavy.

But damn, I can't believe anyone would willingly let go of a Tebow game.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/135123718.html

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Somebody -- maybe Mushnick -- wrote about this.

Basically the contract allowed FOX to "steal" the game from CBS.

I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: Here it is:

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Ah, well, LTL already linked to a better answer.

5. LongTimeListener

In a possibly -- oh who are we kidding, definitely -- related matter to the Broncos-Vikings business, CBS is fighting hard hard hard not to get Tebow vs. Pats flexed on December 18. NFL missed its deadline of Tuesday night to announce flex, announced it won't issue a ruling until Wednesday.

Some interesting inside-baseball stuff about TV in this link, including the notion that Kraft is lobbying strenuously on behalf of CBS to keep this game.

http://www.boston.com/sports/touching_all_the_bases/2011/12/nfl_to_decide_on_patriots-bron.html

It would really be a pissah if the rest of the country didn't get to see that.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The original Sunday night game was Colts-Patriots. That got flexed out of NBC and back to CBS, and Lions-Saints was moved off Fox to NBC.

That left Fox with only two games in the 11 a.m. MST window and CBS with seven and a total of eight on CBS, which didn't have the doubleheader.

To give Fox another game in the early window (it only had Falcons-Texans and Panthers-Buccaneers while losing out on the attractive Lions-Saints game AND it was Fox's doubleheader week so it's a weak draw without another game), the NFL swapped networks for Broncos-Vikings, a move I don't think has ever happened in which a game scheduled on the AFC network was moved to the NFC network (and vice versa). The flex scheduling allows to swap out games to NBC and to move start times for CBS and Fox, but to move between the AFC and NFC networks seemed really strange at the time of the announcement and is still a head-scratcher.

Well, now NBC is coming along and wants to flex in Patriots-Broncos in Week 15 -- TEBOW WEEK!! -- and flex out Ravens-Chargers. Rightly so. CBS is putting up a big fight, as is Bob Kraft, who just happens to have a relationship with CBS in that the Tiffany has a restaurant at Gillette Stadium.

If CBS loses out on the game, it will have gone four of five weeks without Tebow and its surprising rise -- and it's the AFC network. It lost out on Jets-Broncos (Thursday night NFL Network game), got Broncos-Chargers, inexplicably lost Broncos-Vikings, doesn't get Bears-Broncos (Fox game) and would lose out on Patriots-Broncos in what would draw a huge number on NBC but not as big as on CBS (not a true national game, two other games in the 2:15 p.m. MST window, including Jets-Eagles).

Working against the Tiffany: It protected Jets-Eagles, not Patriots-Broncos. The flex decision has been delayed until tomorrow morning (supposed to have been done by today). But the fighting Tebows likely will be moved to NBC and CBS will get further considerations, probably getting to protect a Week 17 game before NBC picks in a week in which Fox and CBS can't protect games and moving Week 16 Broncos-Bills to the late window (of which there's only one other game now and with it being Christmas Eve, probably would draw a big number if it distributes it widely, which looking at the AFC schedule, looks like the could).

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Interesting tidbit: Yates ran the same offense he does in Houston as he did at North Carolina. It's a reason they drafted him.

10. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I'm a huge (and maybe the only) ACC football fan.

T.J. Yates had a great senior year. Prior to that, he made some of the dumbest decisions I've ever seen on a football field. He will throw red zone picks. Ask any North Carolina fan.

Even so, I'd rather have him than Rex Grossman.

11. LongTimeListener

Matt Forte says he won't return until he's 100 percent.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2011/12/matt_forte_gets_prp_injection_.html

I'm sure this will infuriate a fan base that would rather have him amputate than play a role in them missing the playoffs, but I don't blame Forte one bit. There's no need for him to risk further damage for a team that won't commit to him. And I can't say I blame the Bears for not giving him a contract, because running back isn't a position built for longevity. Just an unfortunate byproduct of the NFL's system of non-guaranteed contracts.

12. That 1 Guy

That 1 Guy Member

Amen. Manning would have a fist full of rings if he played on those Patriots teams. (Coming from a depressed Colts fanboi)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted