1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 12 Thread: Tom Brady is a turkey who needs a haircut!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The Rich Campbell photo piqued my interest as to what he's up to today. So I did some brief research.

He's one of us!

Rich Campbell, the ex-Packers bust, is an opinion columnist for Scripps Treasure Coast newspapers. Before that, he was the opinion page editor at the Hattiesburg, Miss. paper.

Here's a blog entry on Jim McMahon's memory loss and how he related to his own career.

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2010/nov/23/rich-campbell-old-gridiron-foe-paying-price-for/

This was a true I'll-be-damned moment for me. Ride on, Rich Campbell! You're a better columnist than you were a QB.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Football on Thanksgiving is the tradition, not the Lions and Cowboys. No one outside of Detroit and Jerry Jones cares which teams regularly appear. Get some rivalry games, last Sunday's Indy-NE game would be a great 4:00 game. Giants-Eagles, Ravens-Steelers, Packers-Bears. Showcase games.

The NFL seems so complacent in its current preeminence that it misses historical lessons. MLB & NBA All Star games were premier events, now reduced to basic cable loss leaders. The NFL needs to ramp up Thanksgiving before Stern gives us LeBron- Kobe and Jesus gives us Duke-Kentucky on Thanksgiving.

Of the 3 games this Thursday, none have a team with a winning record playing a team with a winning record. With these games over by halftime what are we gonna do? Talk with our relatives?

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Abbott, some teams HATE the Thanksgiving Day game and don't want to play it. It took years for the NFL to hammer them into accepting a third game.

5. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

So are you suggesting the replace Dallas and Detroit in the Thanksgiving Day games with the SB teams, or should they change the scheduling formula to accommodate this?

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Whatever teams fall on the SB teams' schedule for this week, that is who they play.

Keep Detriot if you like.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

No Turkey day game in Detroit or Dallas? Preposterous!

That would like MLB not having the first game of the year be in Cincinnati. Oh, wait a minute....

Actually, anyone know how long these Detroit and Dallas traditions go back? I know in '77, Miami and St. Louis played on Thanksgiving and the 55-14 Dolphin shellacking left an impression on this young Big Red fan.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I hate working on my Birthday, but it's part of the job. The road Thanksgiving teams should be coming off the bye week. That's not 2 weeks off but it is 10 days to prepare for 2 games, each.

Thanksgiving is getting up late, coffee and a bagel, the morning paper and the Parade. Followed by 7 hours of hor's d'ovres,drinking, football turkey with all the trimmings. Wait a bit and then Coffee, Pies and Ice Cream and then "It's a Wonderful Life".

A nice Blow Job to finish the evening and then wake me on Saturday.

9. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

The Bears' spectacular collapse ---- with Lovie Smith, Jerry Angelo and Co. emerging unscathed from the smoldering wreckage ---- begins this Sunday.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Maybe -- but you may be premature. Would take +3 1/2 or +4, all day.
    There's trouble in that schedule, and they're absolutely no playoff cinch, but
    expect them to be competitive Sunday afternoon. That defense is even
    better than you think.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Lions have been playing on Thanksgiving since 1934. They first did it to draw attendance:

http://www.detroitlions.com/team/history/thanksgiving-day-in-motor-city.html

The Cowboys started in 1966, and my understanding is, they did it because the league was seeking a second game and they volunteered:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving_Classic

Draft saved Draft deleted