1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 11

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr. Sunshine, Nov 11, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They're a little more explosive with Stanton, who throws a lot of deep balls. His Y/C is a couple yards higher than Palmer's and he has more than half as many 20+ yard completions in only a third as many completions overall.

Stanton and John Brown killed the 49ers. He hasn't done as much with Palmer, and sure enough after Palmer got hurt it was Brown who caught the 48-yard bomb.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Stanton did have to face San Francisco and Denver. Obviously, the Cardinals aren't the same team, but it's not like Palmer was carrying them. That's a really solid team on both sides of the ball. I don't like them to go to the SB anymore, but given that the Niners are three games behind them and the Seahawks are two games back with a brutal schedule, I could see them hanging on to win the Division. They go 3-4 the rest of the way, they're still a 11-5 team.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Understood. They were lucky to be facing the 21st and 22nd ranked scoring offenses in the league in those two wins. The defense is going to be under a lot of pressure to hold the rest of its opponents to 21 points or less.

Don't get me wrong, they'll most likely make the playoffs, but they very well may finish 11-5 and have to play a Wild Card game, then possibly two road games to reach the Super Bowl. I don't see it happening with Drew Stanton at QB.

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

The Cardinals will win the Super Bowl with a cheap backup and the coach the Bears didn't pick. Just to twist the fucking knife.

5. RecoveringJournalist

I think Arizona will win the NFC West. Seattle would have to be very lucky to finish at 11-5 given the remaining schedule. There are benefits to being 8-1 when the other teams in the division have been disappointments.

With Palmer, they'd likely be the favorite in the NFC. Without him, it's hard to imagine them winning a playoff game.

I think the Packers are now the favorite in the NFC.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Seattle will be lucky to finish 10-6. Losing Mebane for the year really hurts them.

7. RecoveringJournalist

It would be fun to see Seattle get in as a No. 6 seed and see if the Seahawks are capable of winning three games in a row on the road to go to the Super Bowl, similar to what the Packers did a few years back. I think the Steelers did the same thing a few years before that.

8. ryanb

ryanb Member

That is correct. The Steelers were the first to do it on their way to Super Bowl XL.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The revenge of Ernie Nevers.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Re: Cutler...

Given that this year's crop of QBs is pretty thin after Mariota, I wonder if the Titans would be interested in acquiring Cutler and see if he could "finish" his development under a coach who has a track record of getting a lot out of his quarterbacks?

11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

What is Cutler's rep in his old stomping grounds?

12. RecoveringJournalist

The Titans would probably be on the short list of teams that might take a shot at Cutler if he becomes available by trade or if they cut him (which I don't think they will...)

I'm not sure which other teams might look at him. Houston might seem somewhat logical. I heard someone mention the Cardinals if Palmer is out for an extended period of time. I don't see that one happening, even though Arians and a veteran team would almost certainly be looking to add a veteran QB for next season if everyone is working under the assumption that Palmer is out all or most of next season.

People will mention Tampa because of Lovie. I thought Cutler and Lovie didn't get a long, but I might be wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted