1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 10: The wake 'n' bake Santonio Holmes version

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YGBFKM, Nov 8, 2011.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'll almost guarantee the Vs.Seahawks version of the Giants show up. This is exactly the type of game the Giants have consistently lost under Coughlin. When people are sure the Giants will lose, they show up and give a big-time effort, but every time people begin to talk about the Giants as a good or — dare I say it — elite NFC team, they throw up all over themselves.

Giants are coming off a big, emotional victory against the Patriots. They are traveling to the West Coast. They have Philadelphia on Sunday night the week after. This is a recipe for a Giants' loss if ever there was one. Bet anything you can on it, especially if the line dips below +3, which I think it will (Giants are getting 3.5 right now, I'm guessing it's +2.5 at kickoff).

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I absolutely agree.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I do not remember that Tampa game, but damn that would have been a sight to behold.

Alex Smith is not that bad. He will complete 60 percent of his passes and avoid turnovers. (Holding onto the ball when he got de-cleated by Kerrigan last week just might have been his play of the year.)

Making a play like Eli hitting Jake Ballard down the seam between two defenders on the final drive last weekend? That's what everyone is waiting to see.

4. LongTimeListener

Also on Giants-49ers, I predict that by next week we will start to see a lot of talk about Patrick Willis for Defensive POY. Not because he will play any better this weekend, but because the New York market will be asking "Holy crap who is #52 and why is he in on every play?"

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I remember being on the sideline for the Alabama-Ole Miss game in 2006. It was late in regulation, and Alabama was trying to drive into position for a potential winning touchdown.

It was something like 3rd-and-1 and they did a quick pitch to Kenneth Darby (who had a pretty good college career and who is still Steven Jackson's back-up with the Rams, I believe). Anyway, Darby got to the corner — right in front of where me and a couple of my fellow reporters were standing — and looked like he might take it the distance.

All of a sudden, this blue and white blur flashed in front of us and knocked Darby out of bounds about a half-yard short of the first down. It was Willis.

Alabama ended up kicking a game-tying field goal and winning in overtime, but Willis ... that guy was (and is) freakin' awesome.

6. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

I bet everyone will be betting on the Bears after beating the Eagles, should be interesting... (I think the game will be played at 4 pm instead of 1 pm as originally scheduled)

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I talked to a Dolphins scout at the 2007 combine and he said, "The five best players in this draft are Johnson, Thomas, Pederson, Willis and Revis."

Holy shit did he hit that one out of the park.

Meanwhile, his team took Ted Ginn Jr.

8. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Johnson isn't playing like it. Chris, right? And you meant Peterson, not Pederson ;)

9. LongTimeListener

I think Detroit has a receiver named Calvin somethingorother.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Dolphins 16, Redskins 13, OT

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Agreed with LTL here. I think we're seeing a touch of "they must beat New York if they're for real" here, when they already enter with an impressive resume. But of course, if SF wins, we'll probably hear, "but they have to beat (Baltimore or Pittsburgh) so we know if they're really for real," while just because they're New York, they will have accomplished something by beating a "great" team.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

i'm looking forward very much to giants-niners. anxious to see how smith is directing the offense. and how willis -- whom i picture primarily as a run-stoppng demon -- dominates an offense mostly reliant on its passing game. i'm fascinated to see the niners in action....

Draft saved Draft deleted