1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 10: Bobby Douglass begat Jim Zorn

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YGBFKM, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Surprised by Leftwich's arm strength last night, but what use is it with that ridiculous windmill delivery.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

3. I agree, and I am fairly certain this offense is going to look better when Leftwich gets a full week of practice reps with the first team offense. This happens a lot . . . ben goes down, backup sucks out loud the rest of the game, then plays much better the next week. Hell, Charlie Batch almost led them to a win over the Ravens not too long ago. And the Ravens look horrible on the road this season. It wouldn't totally surprise me if it is a close game on Sunday night. Would surprise me a little more if the Steelers win, but I wouldn't put it past them.

That all being said, with as bad as the officiating was AGAINST the Steelers in their win over New York, it was that bad and needed on Monday night FOR the Steelers. Without those calls, Pittsburgh loses that game. They were thoroughly outplayed by a horrible team and some of those calls were just bad. The only legit one was the holding.

But I should have seen this coming, Steelers play up and down to their competition equally. Much like the Ravens do, hence their 9-6 win over Kansas City earlier this season. After the game, and I don't know which player it was, but when asked if they were looking ahead to the Ravens, his reply was "Not me . . . I don't think . . . I mean, well, maybe a little." Just horrible. Seriously, how in the hell do you let a team rush for 100 yards when you know their QB can't throw?

4. His exchange, pregame, with Chris Berman before introducing his Veterans Day piece on the two guys who have gone from stadium to stadium this season was just awkward as well. Nothing serious, the exchange was just strange. You would think, by now, that his TV presence would be better than it is. I understand some of these guys being a bit awkward to start, but he's been at this for a while, and still seems awkward on air.

5. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Don't know what's worse, Reilly trying to be funny or solemn.

No one checks to see if it's bullshit or not. Thirty seconds later, he gets credit on camera for "being first."

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That was awkward. Reilly's not a great fit for TV. I got the impression that Boomer didn't actually remember giving those two guys a 90-minute tour of Bristol and Reilly didn't exactly let it go. I think he said a couple of times, "You remember those guys."

7. Spot with regard to the officiating.
    The refs more than made up for the Giants game.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Bubbs, I just want you to know I wasn't able to sleep last night and I'm blaming you.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. Some shaky calls and some that were flat-out wrong, but pretty much all of them in the Steelers' favor.

That said, while I'm sure Leftwich will look a little better with a week of first-team work in practice, it's going to take a serious bed shitting by the Ravens for the Steelers to beat them without Roethlisberger. The guy was in league MVP discussions for a reason.

Leftwich still has a great arm, but he is pretty much useless when things break down, which is when Roethlisberger is at his best, and that offensive line is very shaky in pass protection.

The potential loss of Clark is huge, too. That defense relies heavily on the safeties and now they may both be gone.

Draft saved Draft deleted