1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL week 1 running and passing thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Sep 7, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So do I, though I consider it a gift from the Ravens to their opponents if they stick by the plan of not giving McLain the ball at all. I don't think he can take the pounding of full-time work, but those two make a hell of a combination.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, when a sixth-round pick (James Davis) gets into the mix for playing time, that doesn't bode well for Lewis.

A month ago, I would have picked Derrick Ward as a breakout guy, but it appears Raheem Morris is enamored with Cadillac Williams. (If Carnell is healthy, I can't say I blame him).

Given all those things, I'll say Felix Jones busts out this year.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I don't think Cadillac is healthy. And I think Tashard Choice is the No.1 choice if something were to happen to Barber.

I feel like Jones is more of a change of pace back.

And regarding Ray Rice, I feel like McGahee is still young. He still has some time left, and he's not a bad back. If he stays healthy, I don't know if Ray Rice is going to put up huge numbers. Maybe No.1 on the Ravens numbers, but not top fantasy back material.

And I do own James Davis in a couple of leagues.

4. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Marshawn Lynch isn't that good. Trent Edwards won't be anything more than a poor man's Trent Dilfer. Lee Evans is good, too bad the Bills drafted him. McKelvin is the real deal. He'll be gone in three years tho. This team is terrible and there's more excitement in Detroit than in WNY.

Of course, you all know this already.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Atlanta could conceivably start 0-3.

Denver could conceivably start 3-0.

Jokeland will win a game before the Bears do.

I'm betting a pile on Seattle in the opening week and New England to kick the complete shit out of the Jets in Week 2.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Marshawn Lynch isn't that good?

1,300 yards and 9 TDs last year at age 22.

As a rookie he had 1,500 total yards and 16 tds. All for a terrible Bills team with no passing game.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The Bills had a few months to look for an adequate replacement to Lynch and didn't find one. Three games is almost one-fifth of the season.

Cadillac Williams is now listed No. 1 at tailback on the Bucs' depth chart.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's good to see Mangini's paranoia followed him to Cleveland.

Right after he took the Jets job, the Jets GM got into a really pissy back and forth with the writers at the combine when they were asking him about certain players and he was dodging every question and refusing to the acknowledge the players who were going to be taken at the top of that draft.

I think they had the No. 4 pick that year and I remember one of the NYC writers saying something like, "You are aware that there is a tackle named D'Brickashaw Ferguson from Virginia aren't you?"

It was pretty funny.

9. Madhavok

I think Freddie Jackson will do a decent job in rotation with Rhodes for Buffalo in those three games. And yeah, that rookie season for Marshawn, that got everyone in WNY all excited. Last year was 'pretty good' I guess you could say.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Rhodes was cut. Xavier Omon is Jackson's backup.

But I do degree, Jackson is good, but I don't like his chances behind two rookie tackles this year.

11. Crash

Crash Active Member

Good to see the Lions have cemented Matt Stafford's status as "The Next David Carr."

12. Madhavok

Ah, dang. Been out of the loop with the cuts from Buffalo. Thanks for that. But still, there were cheers when Jackson would come into games and give that spark Marshawn seemed to lack. Then again, every RB in Buffalo has to be compared to Squirming Thurman.

But yeah, two rookie tackles + Check Down Trent + the ego of T.O. = long year.

Draft saved Draft deleted