1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL vs college football

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jayben, Oct 5, 2009.

?

who plays with more heart?

1. NFL

13 vote(s)
    36.1%
  2. College football

17 vote(s)
    47.2%
  3. Cheerleaders

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

mustang, just a few quick responses off the top of my head
    1. Steelers-Ravens. Bears-Packers.
    2. Classic uniforms: Steelers, Browns, Bears, Packers
    3. Comebacks: The last two Super Bowls. 'nuff said
    5. Underdogs: Steelers win the championship as the No. 6 seed in '05 season. Giants do the same, knocking of the undefeated Patriots two years later.
    6. Bands suck. All of 'em.
    14. Who the heck cares what network the game is on?
    32. The NFL never has officiating controversies? Talk to some Seahawks fans.
    24. Steelers in the '70s, 49ers in the '80s. Cowboys in the 90s. Patriots in the 2000s.
    31. Steelers mount an incredible rally to beat the Browns in Cleveland's only playoff game since the "return" of the franchise. Fond memory of mine. Because I was there. And the weather was nasty (see No. 53)
    36. Somebody is under the delusion that there are no electric returns in the NFL
    37. Onsides kicks happen in the NFL, too, you know. One almost screwed up the season for the defending champs last night.
    43. Did you know that Jerome Bettis is from Detroit?
    44. Better coaches? One who flopped in the NFL and two who haven't tried.
    45. Hating Coach Hoodie and all of his wannabes. 'nuff said
    46. Those are fantastic arguments....AGAINST college football
    53. Packed stadiums in bad weather? You really think that is unique to college football?
    55. You do know that NFL teams can go for two now, too, right? It was in all the papers.
    56. A less-artificial overtime system (complete with punts and kickoffs)
    62. Rooting against a division or conference rival so your team can get in the playoffs.
    64. Rooting against your team's hated rival.
    67. No. Wrong. Sorry
    68. Bigger maybe (except Dallas). Better? No.

And one that doesn't perfectly correspond to your list: The NFL has a real champion determined on the field every year. No BCS.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

What oop really meant.

Of course, if the Steelers uniform was truly classic, they wouldn't have changed it a few years ago. Classic unis don't change.

And most college teams do not wear "throwback" junk like this (although I think Florida had a throwback game 2-3 years ago):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I like college ball, but there's plenty of good things to like about the NFL. So I'll respond to some more of Mustang's list:
    1. Rivalries: Cowboys-the rest of the NFC East. Giants-Eagles. Raiders-Chiefs.
    4. Unique matchups: Like Florida-Charleston Southern?
    5. Underdogs: At least they have a shot to win it all.
    7. Cheers, in-game traditions: Beating up strangers in the Black Hole; beating up obnoxious Giants fans in the 700 level of the Vet. In college, you just get stampeded at Camp Randall.
    8. Fight songs: Hail to the Redskins; Steelers Goin' to the Super Bowl; Who dat say dey gon beat 'dem Saints!?
    10. Hail Marys: Billy "White Shoes" Johnson; the Music City Miracle; the Dolphins' hook-and-lateral against the Chargers in the '81 playoffs
    11. Bowl game traditions? The Big Ten and Pac-10? Those are the two biggest obstacles to a true playoff.
    17. Bill Belichick vs. any of his disciples. Favre vs. the Packers.
    24. Dynasties? Is it really exciting to see USC, Texas and Florida win a championship every year if you're not a fan of those schools?
    50. Brent Musberger is nothing to be proud of, son.
    66. Cheaper tickets? On what planet?

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I like the bands providing what they do for college games - yeah, yeah ... big surprise. I also like college football's overtime system over the NFL.

But the fact that the idiotic fat cats continue to operate that stupid playoff system has me leaning heavily toward the NFL. Doubt that changes anytime soon.

At least the NFL makes no pretense that the players get paid and such. Can't tell me the Southeastern Conference - save for Vanderbilt - isn't doing much the same thing.

5. outofplace

Point conceded on throwbacks. One of the few small advantages for college football.

Call me a fanboy all you want. Just proves my previous point that NFL teams have fans every bit as loyal as colleges do.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

1. The Ravens have been around how long? Not long enough for a sweet rivalry like UM/OSU.
    67. That one was a stretch.

Still think the unis are better. Texas and Michigan are so unique. It's awesome.

And playoffs! No way. What a joke. NFL playoffs are a joke. How many great NCAA finishes have we had because of the playoff system. A few national championships, some great rivalry games and some 6, 7 OT thrillers in the SEC.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Yeah. Michigan sure is unique. It's awesome :D

8. outofplace

A real champion. Decided on the field. Every year. Anything else is a joke.

The Ravens are the real Browns, but worse because they fucked over Cleveland. Nobody is allowed to mess with Cleveland but Pittsburgh. But if you want more history, go with Cowboys-Redskins or Bears-Packers. I was just going for intensity.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I think these arguments are silly because the games are so different and there is so much to like about both.

That being said the one thing I enjoy about college more is the fact that there are so many different styles of play, so many different offenses and defenses, so much junk and gimmicks used that almost no two games are alike. Meanwhile, the NFL, almost every team runs the same stuff and the NFL games all look alike.

But you can't argue about playoffs versus the idiocy that is the college football ranking and poll system beauty contest.

And as an aside, OOP, please stop with the Steelers of 2005 were underdogs nonsense. Yes, they weren't supposed to get by the Colts but -- they were better than the Bengals without Carson Palmer, they were better than the Broncos and they were better than the Seahawks. The only reason they were a six seed is because they had a rash of injuries four about a five-game stretch around midseason and lost some games.

10. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

I can't believe I'm loving what Steelers fans are saying, but it's true. Sorry, NFL over college football. Consider one percent of Division I-A (or FBS) players play in the NFL. The biggest, fastest and most talented are playing football in the NFL. The dudes are crazy talented. I love football. I want to see the best play the game at the highest level... no that j.v. stuff on Saturdays.

One thing I will disagree, the Ravens are NOT the real Browns. They are the Ravens. The Browns, sadly, still reside in Cleveland. And, yes, Pittsburgh is the only team allowed to mess with Cleveland. After 11 consecutive victories, all I say is, "Thank you sir, may I have another?"

Finally, the winner is decided ON THE FIELD, not the joke that is college football with its polls and computer rankings.

11. outofplace

You're right about one thing. It was the injuries that made them the six seed, but they were still underdogs heading into those playoffs. So were the Giants the year they won.

12. outofplace

Sorry, I never bought the NFL bullshit that the team currently in Cleveland is the real Browns. They are an expansion franchise with an old-school name and uniform.

The Ravens are as close as we get to the real legacy of the old Browns, but even that doesn't completely work. The shame of it is that asshole Modell killed the Browns and left us with two almosts.

Draft saved Draft deleted