1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Third Place Game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Jan 22, 2007.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

What we needed was a Running Running thread...all running threads together, so you could find them all in one place.

Then sticky it.

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Why not? College football has 30+ consolation games.

Actually, the last thing we need is something like this.

3. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Exactly.

This is kind of like the college bowl system where good teams play in meaningless games prior to the one game that still counts.

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Don't say that too loud around here. Some don't believe the right teams were in the game that "counts."

I think if there were a playoff system in college, though, there would be a third place game. Since there is in the NFL, why not?

5. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Well, they might not have been. Who knows? The game counted in the sense that the winning team got a crystal football at the end.

6. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I'm all for it. Any idea that gives me more football is a good idea to me.

7. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

If there was a college playoff there wouldn't be a consolation game just as there is no longer a consolation game at the Final Four.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Don't take this as a slight but honestly if you think a 3rd place game is a good idea you have never played football at a high level.

The intensity would be gone and it would not be much better than the pro bowl. No one would risk getting hurt for 3rd place.

9. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

my head hurts just thinking about it.

10. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Hey, why not reinstate the Playoff Bowl ... give it some corporate sponsorship and call it the "Ty-D-Bowl," since "their dreams of a championship were flushed away...."

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Thank you! I can't believe it got this far along in the thread without someone saying this.

One week you're playing for a chance to play for the holy grail, the Super Bowl. When you lose, you're crushed. The next week, you don't want to be playing a meaningless consolation game. What's the motivation? Players would give even less effort for a third-place trophy than they do in the Pro Bowl.

12. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Try chanting, "WE'RE PICKING #3, WE'RE PICKING #3!" every April with us Browns fans. Suddenly, this third-place game will seem interesting.

Draft saved Draft deleted