1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL team with the most female support is ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Claws for Concern, Sep 13, 2007.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Having gone through the Browns-Steeler wars in the relatively hostile area between the two cities, I'd say each team's popularity has to do with the success on the field.

In the 80s and early 90s, you would have to venture well into Pennsylvania before you would even think of seeing a public display of Steeler love.

Now, since the Steelers have smelled recent success, the Steelers have pushed their fan base very close to Cleveland proper. One only has to look at the Youngstown TV market's favoritism toward Steelers (it was unthinkable before 1995 that the Steelers would bump the Browns if the two were playing at the same time...now it happens ALL the time) to see the change in the weather.

It's amazing to think, that these two teams have never really been great at the same time.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

You can have your 300 chapters. Steelers fans don't need chapters, they just take over bars and travel to road games to see their team play. Down the road here at a sports bar, it's not a Steelers fan club per say, but every week there are 25 or so Steelers fans, in jerseys and with Terrible Towels in hand, watching the game.

And for the record, I am proud to say Mrs. Oz dislikes pink sports gear with a passion -- only black and yellow will do.

3. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Honestly, I've only met three Browns fans in my life and I've never seen them openly root for their team. I've seen Steelers fans root on some really shitty Steelers teams and they come out in more support, at least from what I've seen. And remember, I've lived in snowbird heaven.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You used a study that gives extra credit for the team sucking. Sorry, the Steelers just can't match the Browns in that territory.

Proves nothing.

5. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

For some odd reason, I thought it would be the Cowboys. A lot of females love them here.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Odd, that's been my experience as well. I know that was the case in the 90's, and the few girls who let me know them are mostly split between the Cowboys and Steelers.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Looking at the study.

Are they basing 10-year average attendance on the 64,000+ of Heinz Field? Because from 1996-2000 The Steelers played at Three Rivers which had a seating capacity of 59,000 for football. It's hard to shove an extra 4,000 into a stadium that is already filled.

Since Heinz has opened

2001 499,191 62,399
    2002 490,274 61,284
    2003 477,584 59,698
    2004 507,385 63,423
    2005 507,434 63,429
    2006 499,461 62,433

Nice source. Go get two more.

8. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Ah, my favorite pastime: observing crossfire. :D

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This one was a no-brainer - any long-time SportsJournalists.com-ers remember this pic after the Roesthlisberger motorcycle accident?

A cookout-vigil outside the hospital
    [​IMG]

10. 93Devil

My favorite is shooting down half-baked sources.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Who? Me?

12. 93Devil

Mr. Hand says this is our time.

Draft saved Draft deleted