1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL team with the most female support is ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Claws for Concern, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

It's not Tom Brady's team ...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-steelers-women&prov=ap&type=lgns

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

[​IMG]

The ladies love McBeam!

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Not shocked at all.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Paging Junkie. Paging poor, suffering Browns fan Junkie....

I'm not even a tiny bit surprised. The obsession with football, particularly the Steelers, in Pittsburgh is either amazing or pathetic, depending on your point of view.

Nothing matters in that city like the Steelers do. Nothing.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Yet GB has a more populated fandom in its own city than does Pittsburgh.

6. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

And for the no sh!t sherlock factoid in this survey:
    "-- Fans who are Hispanic: Miami-Fort Lauderdale, 12.1 percent."

Also, I think it's interesting that most of those cities, save for Jacksonville, are in mostly "cold" cities. I guess the women in "warm" cities follow other sports, other teams?

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Or they have better things to do? While 34% of the women in the Pittsburgh area identified themselves as Steelers fans, wouldn't that mean 66% wouldn't be?

It doesn't say whether there was a qualifying question like "Are you a football/sports fan?", or if respondents expressed a preference for another NFL franchise that wasn't from the city they lived in.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Black goes with anything.

9. outofplace

That is just among men, IJAG. Pittsburgh's edge over Green Bay among women is larger (34 to 29.4 percent). And Cleveland isn't anywhere close to either Pittsburgh or Green Bay. But again, this was asking people to identify themselves as Browns fans and that must be a truly painful thing to do.

10. outofplace

True...actually those percentages seem a bit low for all the cities mentioned.

And it doesn't take into account the huge following the Steelers have nationwide, with the combination of large numbers of people who grew up on the teams of the '70s and displaced former residents of Pittsburgh like myself.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

More recreational options in the winter months.

And, at least in the South, I would hazard that college football gets a lot football allegiance over the pro version.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yup.

I know of plenty of women in the South who will latch on to one of the major university football programs and not give pros time of day.

But please, ladies ... team colors. Leave the pink jerseys and caps - excepting those sold with obvious intentions to fund medical research and such - on the shelves and warehouse bins.

Draft saved Draft deleted