1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Scouting books/memoirs?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wheateater, Mar 8, 2009.

1. wheateater

wheateater Member

I'm working on a paper about the NFL draft from '94-'98 for an independent study project this semester. The objective was to run the data for every player taken and try to determine if players at any position had a greater likelihood of success at the next level solely due to a higher degree of accuracy at that position by NFL scouts. Thus far I have looked at 11 teams and offensive tackles are standing out by quite a wide margin. Are there any books or papers (even if they aren't quite from the same era) which deal with scouting that could be considered primary sources? It seems that most books written by coaches and the like are fluff pieces with no real information. I need some primary source material to work with and would appreciate any input.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Can't help you with your question, but did want to point out (if you weren't already using it) that you can use the draft page at http://www.pro-football-reference.com/draft/draft_querier.htm to sort through the 1994-98 drafts in any number of orders.

3. that site never ceases to blow me away

4. Monroe Stahr

Monroe Stahr Member

Tony Razzano, who was the player personnel guy with the 49ers during the Walsh years, did a book that's pretty good. Title: "Razzano: Secrets of an NFL Scout."

5. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

I'm a former NFL scout. Worked for the Chargers in '98, but have been out of work ever since.

Maybe I can help!

6. Monroe Stahr

Monroe Stahr Member

By the way, if you want to read an all-time classic piece about an NFL scout, read the one Myron Cope wrote years ago for Sports Illustrated about Fido Murphy.

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1075205/index.htm

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I believe that book includes copies of his scouting reports on several well-known players.

Draft saved Draft deleted