1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL RedZone

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BNWriter, Oct 1, 2009.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

it's the greatest thing ever for gamedays. go right to it during commercial breaks of the game i'm watching. just great.

i've got fios. it's a feature of nfl network for 50 bucks for the season. well worth it, especially if you can expense it. even if not, well worth it.

2. Haven't watched RedZone yet, but I did catch a break with the DirecTV Sunday Ticket earlier this month that was just as cool.

They charged me and my roommate for the Sunday Ticket without either of us ordering it just because we got it last year when we first got DTV. We weren't going to get it this year because my job switch now has me working Sundays instead of slumming on the couch watching football all day and my roommate always works Sundays.

So my roommate called and bitched at them for the extra $300 on our bill. They claimed it was our fault for not calling them to say we didn't want it. After about 30 minutes of bitching to various people, they relented and said they messed up. They offered us a credit on our account which gave us the Sunday Ticket Super Fan package for $100, or we could just cancel the whole thing altogether. I wrote my roommate a check for $50 on the spot and we now have every game in HD and all the other wonderful things that come with the Super Fan package.

Thank you DirecTV for being douchebags and messing up ;D

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Looooooooooooove it.

Can't believe the networks are tolerating it.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

my reaction, too. just figured the nfl wields the ultimate power. whatever the reason, it's great for fans.

5. standman

standman Member

Used to work in the business but I work for Verizon now. The product has really taken off. It's a great concept, especially for the fantasy football player who just can't wait til halftime.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I have it with Comcast.
    Awe. Some.
    In this area we usually get either the Saints (fun to watch, but not my favorite team) on Fox or the AFC South game of the week on CBS. I've found myself just putting it on RedZone for long stretches. I'm entranced.
    It's seriously impacting my marriage, though. Used to have a sort-of deal with the wife where she'd let me watch the early games, then we'd go out for a while at 3:30. Now it's hard to pull away. There's no natural pauses. You say "let me see the end of this drive" and then they flip you to a different drive.

7. accguy

accguy Member

It is really good. Especially when there are multiple close games. They go back and forth like crazy and you see almost every play from the close games.

Unless you really want to go to a sports bar, this beats the hell out of leaving the house.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It really is incredible how they do that. They'll switch in between plays on both games they're following, and don't linger one one game during a timeout or an injury. The host is fond of saying "there have been X amount of touchdowns scored in the NFL today, and you've seen them all!" It gets annoying, but damn if he isn't right.

9. I was a bit disappointed when I went to the channel week 1 and saw that I had to pay for it. Funny, with all fo the commercials on about it durign the preseason, they never mentioned that little tidbit. Did I mention, F Verizon, my contract can't end soon enough.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

DirecTV offered a free trial of the whole NFL Sunday Ticket for Week 1, I didn't move out of the chair for six hours (most of the time it was on the RedZone channel). I joked with my wife that there was no way she'd let me get this now, but as soon as we get divorced...

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

If your cable/satellite provider has RedZone on a separate teir from the NFL Network, this weekend is a free NFL RedZone preview on all service providers that carry it.

12. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

One oddity I noticed -- it won;t let you rewind and watch a play again, at least on uVerse.

You get a message saying "This network does not allow it" or something like that.

Not a big deal, though.

And, as others have implied, I wonder if the networks will start bitching about losing viewers.

Draft saved Draft deleted