1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL pre-season and news thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Aug 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It is . . . but it seems like your best chance of winning a SB is when you get a good QB at a bargain price (either as a lucky stab Tom Brady/Kurt Warner or anyone on his first contract or two) BEFORE they sign that monster elite-level extension.

Patriots went 10-1 in the playoffs under Brady's first two contracts (his second one was basically to correct the horribly underpriced first contract but still was nowhere near elite level) . . . and have gone 8-7 since. Think it might be just a little harder to build a Super Bowl champion when your Hall of Fame QB is taking up $15 million of cap space vs. $303,000 (Brady's rookie deal per year)?

Ravens won a Super Bowl with Flacco taking up $7M of cap space. Can they do it when he takes up more than $20M?
    Roethlisberger won a couple of Super Bowl titles taking up $2 million of cap space. How close has he come since taking up more than $11M?
    Seahawks have a wealth of talent surrounding Russell Wilson and his $662,000 salary. Of course they do! Let's see how good it is when he commands a stratospheric deal next year or in 2016.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

The great Mike Florio gives his 2 cents on upcoming Hall of Fame classes.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/04/looking-ahead-at-future-hall-of-fame-classes/

He calles Terrell Owens "a long shot," and says Randy Moss "may leave some room for debate."

Ahhhh, classic Florio.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

LaDainian Tomlinson "looks like a good bet."

LOL.

4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

"Posted by Michael David Smith on August 4, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT"

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I agree, but are you going to not re-sign these guys?

Dalton is guaranteed 17 million on this deal, if he performs well the Bengals have him at what will be good value in pct of cap. If he doesn't they move on.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Well, piss. You're right. I totally missed that. I suppose I just assumed it was another one of Florio's idiotic posts. Instead, it was an idiotic post by Michael David Smith. Would it surprise you if Florio agrees with everything I pointed out, though? Me, either.

7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Bengals are in much better shape than their Ohio counterparts at QB.

8. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

NFL Network said the main deal is 6-years, $96 million with escalators that could make it worth $115 mil based on playoff wins.

The article said he gets $17 million in bonus money, which isn't that common these days. Usually, it's just guaranteed money. It hints that that amount is all that is guaranteed, but that's not completely clear.

9. RecoveringJournalist

I read it as "first-ballot longshot"

It's definitely not worded well, but with the way it's broken down by year, that was the way I took it.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Giants running back David Wilson, their first-round pick in 2012, advised to give up football due to repeated neck injuries:

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/David-Wilson-advised-not-to-play-football-/47f5e00a-96bd-43c1-b778-7a752ece8595

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Yep, that was Schefter, too. Reporters are not "at the mercy" of the agents. They're just too concerned about getting "the scoop." There's no logical reason to report the myth of the total contract because NO ONE ever plays out a full contract and earns every penny initially reported.

Guaranteed money and cap hits are the only important numbers to report from NFL contracts. Reporting the total value of the contract is worse than using batting average as a lynchpin stat to evaluate baseball players.

12. RecoveringJournalist

Well, that's how virtually every news organization does it, which obviously doesn't make it right. The initial amount comes out, gets reported and gets the headlines and then when the contract is filed with the league, reporters get access to it usually through a different agent and then everyone gets to see the fine print.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.