1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Playoffs running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Dec 31, 2018.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Not sure how bad calls are lawsuit-worthy, unless they can show it was done deliberately to keep the Saints out of the Super Bowl.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I assume they are claiming negligence.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Negligence doesn't mean just a mistake, though, right? Doesn't it mean there was something that should have been done to prevent mistakes that wasn't done?

4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't think officiating calls warrant lawsuits. That's over the top.
    I'd just like sports leagues to acknowledge mistakes. Mistakes happen. Own up to them.
    They insulate officials too much.
    For me, owning a mistake helps to soothe the wound. Denying it or saying "oh, well" only rubs salt in it.

5. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I'm a Roger Goodell birther. I'm not sure he was ever actually born. I think he was an incredibly life-like robot built by the Rand Corporation during the height of nuclear war panic to be a post-apocalyptic press secretary that simply went rogue and showed an interest in football.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The crazy thing about Goodell is that he's a terrible salesman for the sport. He's Bill Hancock with a better paycheck. Agree that he is little more than a spokesman for the owners. You would think someone in that job would display some passion for the sport.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

No one's denying the officials are human. But don't tell us the game is decided by humans on the field now that the Pandora's box of replay has been opened. As such, you need to open it wider to cover a non-call that bad.

John B. Foster likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted