1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL playoff thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YGBFKM, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Ray Lewis = O.J. Simpson

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Not quite, Boom. But I know this is all part of the game.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You've have played some football DD. No doubt that you had some attention whores like Lewis as teammates. Did you like having them as teammates?
    Would Lewis pre game speeches have motivated you?

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

From what I know about him -- from people who played with him and against him -- I think you might have him wrong.

Guys love him, from what I understand. As a teammate and as a player. He's also pretty quiet from what I understand. The dance you see might be the TV camera act. ... I don't know. But I really wouldn't be surprised if Ray Lewis is a quiet presence all week during game prep. I know other players respect him.

If he was an attention whore who didn't do much on the field and was just a distraction to his teammates, sure. But I am pretty positive he's not viewed that way by his teammates. And I am pretty certain he's not this rah rah guy all week long. He goes about it professionally when the TV cameras aren't there.

Also, DD made a comment last night about how he wouldn't be surprised if Lewis was a lonely guy off the field. I wouldn't either. The way he plays football -- and at linebacker, which takes a serious toll on your body when you play with that much recklessness -- takes a serious emotional sadness.

You just don't put yourself through what he has for as long as he has unless you have a messed up quality to you.

I won't play junior psychoanalyst beyond that, but people look at Ray Lewis and they conflate the football player with the thug they perceive him to be off the field. I wouldn't be surprised if he has the same lonely, messed up quality that Junior Seau might have had as a person. Yet, a lot of people who go by personas, would never have equated the two of them as people.

5. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

What what all that chatter ("OOOoo--OOOooo") during the Ravens' locker room celebration, when Nance was interviewing the owner, Flacco, Ray Lewis, etc.?

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

No.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Vick is the apt comparison

8. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Don't post again until you learn to read.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Can we be sure that Ray Lewis wasn't the second shooter heard rustling through the woods on the Sandy Hook 911 tapes? That's what he really wants to know.

10. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

We just need a running "Is Ray Lewis a murderer?" thread. Keep it funneled into one place. Maybe a poll. We could also use a forensic expert. ChalkTalk.

11. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I don't believe you have permission to post yet.

12. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Son, stop posting before you get hurt.

Draft saved Draft deleted