1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL players missing in Gulf of Mexico

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by FileNotFound, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

And unfortunately, they're in some of the GOMEX's coldest waters, according to this map:

[​IMG]

93Devil: At some point, it's going to be too late. Possibly more than 48 hours in sub-70 degree water is going to lead to hypothermia, and that's going to be that.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

MM, can you pull that chart up for August?

I was wondering if they capsized in August if hypothermia would have been a factor?

Oh, any sailors in the room? Was anchoring a smart move?

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

That's a live (or updated regularly, at least) map from accuweather.com. In August, temperatures would be well in the 80s, pushing 90. Though even 90-degree water can cause hypothermia if you're in it long enough, I'd think. But then you'd have sharks and hurricanes to deal with.

4. 93Devil

I know the continental shelf there is very high and thus high water temps. I just could not remember how high the temps rose.

5. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

If you can remain underway, it's probably better, so you can keep the bow headed into the swells. If you're out of gas though, I don't know that one's better than the other. Probably drifting is better than anchoring.

6. 93Devil

Thanks, OTD.

I remember hearing that many sailboats are very hard to capsize if the sail is down. I did not know if the same applied to a fishing boat.

7. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

The main thing in weather is to keep moving. I've done a lot of sailing, a little of it in moderate weather, and the main thing is to keep steerageway.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Per the pic that was posted, he was on top of the capsized hull.

Currently trying to figure out if a small craft advisory had been put in effect Saturday p.m. (EDIT: Not until late in the evening, several hours after they had been expected back.)

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

There's this, though I don't know if it describes the area the boat went in:

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:57bNUjRzqU8J:forecast.weather.gov/shmrn.php%3Fmz%3Dgmz054%26syn%3Dgmz005+saturday+eastern+gulf+of+mexico+boating+forecast&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Sounds like Saturday wasn't great, but Sunday was the real problem. So who knows?

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

The boat was unsinkable. But nothing about capsizing. 12 foot waves would be easy to knock a 21 foot wave over.

Hopefully they find these guys. I'd love to know what happened. Did the others try to swim? How was this the only guy left? I just don't get it. Very curious.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That's the Keys.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Yeah, but conditions couldn't have been better in the waters north of the Keys in the Gulf, closer to the low.

Draft saved Draft deleted