1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Overtime Ideas for Competition Committee

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by exmediahack, Jan 27, 2009.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I never heard that one before, but I really like it. But my question is: lets say that in the Philly-Bengals game this season, Philly got the ball first and got a field goal. And no one else scored for the remainder of OT. Is that a tie or a Philly win?

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Discussed above, I'd say Philly wins.

3. Worst part is it took until the bottom of the first page of the thread for someone to use logic.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I think the four point rule is a bad idea.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

How about the first team to score six points wins?

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Similar to win by 4, similar strengths & weaknesses. I'm OK with either one.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The only time 6 points should be required to end the game is on the opening possession.

Then, either a TD wins it - and who would have a problem with that? - or each team gets at least one possession.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'd keep it the same, except each team gets at least one possession. Once both teams have had possession and it's still tied, then it becomes sudden death. That would help avoid games being essentially decided by a coin flip.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

All you need is an extra 7-minutes. Play it like a shortened quarter. This isn't a big deal. At the end of the overtime, whoever is leading wins. If not, it remains a tie. Let it go into the standings as a tie. No big deal.

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I just want to see teams in overtime playing for a touchdown instead of a field goal.

Draft saved Draft deleted