1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Overtime Ideas for Competition Committee

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by exmediahack, Jan 27, 2009.

1. joe king

joe king Active Member

Then they should have made a tackle.

It's right about 30 percent.

Since regular-season OT was created in 1974, the team that wins the OT coin toss has won the game roughly 53 percent of the time. Since 2000, I believe it has been close to 60 percent.

I like the OT as it is. Everything else being suggested seems too tricked-up, like you're trying to re-invent the game for this specific circumstance -- which, in effect, you are.

The way it's done now is football, just like the rest of the game except first score wins. The real best way would be to play an extra quarter, but as has been pointed out, that would take too long and create more ties than sudden death. So this is as close as we're going to get.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

OK, the game ends instantly when a tem goes up by 4, otherwise you play through the period when the win goes to whoever is ahead.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Take out the gimmicky four-point bullshit, leave the rest.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

What's the rest?

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Play through period when the win goes to whoever is ahead.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Polian is on the committee and has made it plain that he wouldn't change a thing.

It might be good fodder for Around the Horn, but the overtime rules don't need fixing.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

And what of the, granted extremely unlikely, scenario in which a team manages to keep the ball for all 15 minutes and scores with no time left?

What if the defensive team intercepts on the first possession, but fumbles it away during the runback? Does that count as its possession?

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Here's one thing they could have done: Tackle the guy returning the kickoff. That's part of football, not allowing a kickoff to be returned for a touchdown. Some teams go an entire season without giving one up.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

If it is a FG, that would be a tie. And yes.

10. times38

times38 Member

I wouldn't mind seeing them play a full 15-minute quarter. so what if one team winds up winning by 21 or something?

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'm not holding back until I get a shark tank and a stripper pole on the 50-yard line!

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That was the whole selling point of the XFL — no coddling players, no babying returners with stupid fair-catch rules, and such.

So much for that.

Draft saved Draft deleted