1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL off-season running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I agree, but I could see how he might be intrigued to play for Shanahan. I also don't think he wants to play Eli twice a year.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I think he could certainly contend in Miami. They have some weapons there, particularly if Reggie Bush puts together another season like he had this year in 2012. They've got a better defense than the Colts ever had, too.

One thing I wonder is if he would want to play in the AFC East for either the Dolphins or the Jets and have to face the Patriots twice a year for his final three or four or five seasons. I'm not saying he wouldn't, but I'm not so sure he would, either.

I also would be surprised to see him choose a cold-weather, outdoors city. Just doesn't seem like a good move to go from playing in a dome your whole career to spending the last six or seven games of your season freezing your tits off.

And forget about Oakland. They gave up an awful lot to get Palmer. Even though Jackson is gone, I doubt the Raiders brass wants to get absolutely zero return on the investment. I wonder if they'll keep Campbell.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I'm not asking if they could do it or would do it, but those are the teams I could see making a serious run at a Lombardi by having Manning take snaps for them. Miami should be on the list as well.

I think the NFL would explode if Manning was a Raider. And you know they want him, but the Raider receivers would drive Manning crazy. .

4. Mizzougrad96

I think Manning could go to Baltimore or San Fran and, if he stays healthy, a bit if... contend for, or possibly win, a Super Bowl next season.

Now, would either team be willing to push their current starters aside to take that chance? I don't know.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You have to know the 49ers better than that. They were 13-3 and a play away from the Super Bowl. They're going to throw an enormous variable into that?

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Indy Star's Bob Kravitz was on Tony Kornheiser yesterday and he said Redskins, Dolphins or Jets (in no particular order).

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Well, Bob knows more about this than pretty much anyone.

This longtime fanboi wants to see him in either Baltimore or with the Jets. Although given what Denver's D looks like, Denver would be a great place for him, too.

8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

In the AFC East in which he could face Tawm Brady twice a year? God help us all.

9. Mizzougrad96

Kravitz certainly knows what he's talking about...

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Hell, he would share NYC with Eli.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Arizona would be a better fit than Washington.

Manning is not stupid enough to give his vulnerable years to a dumptruck organization like the Redskins.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Jets would be a catastrophic clusterfuck for all concerned except New York Post headline writers. The Redskins is the NFL's Ship of the Free Agent Damned. That leaves Miami, which does make sense. There's some talent on that team.

Draft saved Draft deleted