1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Network vs. The Cable Industry

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CitizenTino, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I never watch Primetime anymore. the NFL Network Show is light years better than NFLPT.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

But they only go back a year or two. Now if they showed TV-produced games from the 60s onward, that would be something, but the selfish fuckers sit on that footage so we can watch the sanitized NFL Films versions of old games.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

the Adelphia-Time Warner hammer came down on my local cable outlet today. NFL Network...poof...NBA TV is there now and a bunch of other stations I have no idea about. Still am not getting Outdoor Life Network (or Versus as it will be called later on). I really hate having the cable lineup massively fucked with. I suggest that's what will happen before this is all over.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I love DirecTV.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

FROM CONSUMERIST.COM

TimeWarner's Adelphia Buyout Continues to Suck For You

timewarnercable150.jpgYou don't mess with a man's football.

TimeWarner divvied up bankrupt Adelphia Cable's assets yesterday, including buying all the customers. Cervice promptly began going FUBAR. First they screwed up Lifehacker's internet and now they're depriving customers of NFL preseason coverage. For the time being, there's no more NFL Net.

Distraught, Marc says, "The lady at the 800 number was unresponsive, and dismissed my assertion that surely Adelphia's deal with the NFL was still vaild."

Well you can't expect the new network to honor all the old's agreements, right? Well it looks like it's not a passive problem, or a technical snafu, but a deliberate move.

"As I research the problem, it seems that TW has yanked the NFL Net from former Adelphia markets to up the ante in its negotiations to get the NFL to lower its price," says Marc. Maybe that's why Adelphia was bankrupt in the first place.

Marc wants to know who he should cal at Time Warner to voice his concern.

Try the office of James D. Fellhauer, Chief of Customer Care, 203-328-4017. Ignore the scary system telling you the voicemail box isn't working and wait for it to transfer you to an operator. Ask for the customer care advocate. We ended up reaching a Lorraine.

6. Where I live, the NFL Network had a full-page color ad on Sunday saying Charter does not want you to see your favorite team in action. The Network has also put in 3-col ads on three other days.

This fight is going to get ugly.

7. patchs

patchs Active Member

Can't believe this hasn't been posted yet:
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Federal Communications Commission on Thursday ordered Time Warner Cable to immediately reinstate the NFL Network to the cable systems it acquired from Adelphia Communications Corp., just days before preseason games kick off.

The NFL Network asked the agency to intervene after accusing the No. 2 U.S. cable operator of dropping its channel on August 1 in violation of FCC rules that require 30 days notice to subscribers for such action.

"The commission is concerned about the impact of the dispute and the potential impact of the NFL Network from being removed from the new systems that Time Warner purchased in the Adelphia transaction," FCC Chairman Kevin Martin told reporters.

The NFL Network asked the FCC to take enforcement action against Time Warner Cable, a unit of Time Warner Inc., and require the cable operator to reinstate the channel until sufficient notice had been given to customers.

Citing a threat of irreparable harm to the NFL Network, the agency ordered Time Warner Cable to put the channel back on those systems with the same terms before it was removed until the agency can rule on the petition by the television network.

The FCC noted particular harm against consumers in cities where there are NFL teams, such as Buffalo and Dallas. The agency also said it appeared Time Warner merely wanted to carry the channel on different terms than reached with Adelphia.

"This order was issued without offering us the opportunity to respond to the NFL Network's allegations," said Time Warner Cable spokesman Mark Harrad. "We believe the FCC's decision is wrong and we are considering our options."

Time Warner has until August 15 to file its response with the FCC. It could send out notices to subscribers now about the change and the 30-day clock would start, Martin said.

The NFL preseason kicks off on August 10 and its regular season begins September 7. The network plans to show 54 NFL preseason games and eight regular season prime-time games this year, according to the FCC.

Time Warner and Comcast Corp. acquired most of the assets of bankrupt Adelphia in a deal worth about $17.6 billion. Time Warner and Comcast also swapped some of their properties in several cities as part of the transaction.

Time Warner received customers in Los Angeles, Dallas and other cities while Comcast got customers in Memphis and Minneapolis, among others

8. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I had a question about NFL Network, but I didn't want to make a whole thread about it so I just brought this one back up. Are they going to show the Saints and Titans game tonight?

9. patchs

patchs Active Member

Not entirely, they do cut ins to games in progress.
    Check www.nflnetwork.com for their schedules.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at www.nflnetwork.com

Try this link instead.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/home

11. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

If the NFL Network puts heat on the cable companies, fine with me.

Our cable system has three challenges in the next few weeks and months _ get ESPNU (Iowa's football opener is on there, and there's some basketball games slated for the winter), get the NFL Network (especially if Iowa is the Big Ten rep in the Insight Bowl, which the network has the rights to), then get the new Big Ten Channel when it starts one year from now. Somehow I think they'll strike out on all three, but we will get, I'm sure, some other food network or home shopping network.

I won't miss those games _ I'll be there covering them. But when they're not on, we get the calls, not the cable system.

12. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Damn, Bush just had two great runs. One was actually right up the middle in which he made a cut back and got 7 yards. The other was a pitch to the left and he got a 35 yard gain out of that. What a start.....

Draft saved Draft deleted