1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Network vs. The Cable Industry

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CitizenTino, Aug 1, 2006.

1. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Feel free to nuke this if the subject has already been discussed, but has anybody else lost the NFL Network thanks to its running dispute with certain cable companies?

As an Adelphia subscriber, I've had the channel the last two years. Adelphia was bought out by Time Warner, and my cable switched over at midnight. A little while ago, I flipped over to what WAS the NFL Network, only to find THIS message from my new cable provider:

"The NFL Network is no longer available to Time Warner Cable. Basically, they are asking you to pay a premium price for eight out of market games you got for free last year. We are negotiating a better deal for you. For more information and to tell the NFL to Get Real, please visit www.NFLGetReal.com."

I don't quite understand how I was allegedly getting these out-of-market games for "free" last year, considering they were OUT OF MY MARKET, but in TW's defense, they make a more compelling case on that nflgetreal.com site.

The NFL Network, meanwhile, has resorted to taking out full-page ads in the local papers, telling you that you're going to be missing games this year and that you should call your local cable company and demand the NFL Network.

I have a feeling this thing is going to get very ugly before it is settled.

2. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I suggest you get DirecTV or dish network. Anyway, the big city near me has this sports radio show and all they've done for the last three days has been bitch about this very thing.

It.gets.old.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Never had it on my cable (Adelphia basic), so I don't know what I'm missing. I'd love to get a dish, but that's a heck of a lot of money to shell out for something I'm never around to watch anyway. So I'll just go to the local watering hole and get drunk on shitty beer to watch these games, as I always do.

FWIW, I'd rather have the Golf Channel.

4. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

The cable companies have no problem raising prices when it benefits them, it seems.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

See: Comcast

6. patchs

patchs Active Member

Funny, my Adelphia system offered NFLN on ch. 16, so it wasn't on digital cable.
    They replaced it with a regional sports channel which is airing ESPNews now.
    But I only have Adelphia, err TW, for my locals and hi-speed Net, I have DirecTV for 1 reason, NFL Sunday Ticket.
    And DTV isn't that bad price wise, the equipment and installation are basically free.
    All they need is to get an arbitrator and they could settle this PDQ.

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Haven't had cable in a year, and I'm a happier person for it. My brother also has DishNetwork and loves it. My dad is pissed with his cable rates and is thinking of getting dish.

The only bad things about dish are you don't get local Weather Channel updates and it does lose signal during bad weather, but I'm sick of cable companies bitching about prices from networks. The cable company around here was ready to put all the ESPN channels on premium packages and not the simple expanded lineup.

8. Turfburger

Turfburger Member

City I live in has Verizon Fios. They just added NFL network from its sports package to regular viewership Tuesday.

9. Jeff Gluck

Jeff Gluck Member

Tino, I was hoping I wasn't affected by what you described, but apparently we have the same problem.

I totally blame Time Warner. Fucking pay for the fucking channel. It's digital cable...they'd better pay for it. The funny thing is, on the screen it says something like, "Hi, we're Time Warner!" with a little "Hi, my name is..." nametag.

Bullshit. I'm going to call Time Warner and tell them they fucking suck.

10. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Since my original post, I've discovered that for now I also no longer get ESPNU. On the other hand, I am now getting NBA TV instead.

I'm still torn on this. Even though they've taken away a couple pretty decent channels, they've also added some other ones that are pretty nice to have.

11. patchs

patchs Active Member

Get DirecTV, they have NFLN, ESPNU, NBA TV and a ton of other sports channels, as well as ESPN and ESPN2 in HD, TNT HD too.
    They also offer local channels.

12. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

I was surfing the new Time Warner (nee Adelphia) lineup and I couldn't find what was new (beyond seeing the addition of NBA TV and deletion of the NFL Network) ... can you tell me what TW has added?

Draft saved Draft deleted