1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Network ditching Comcast?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm watching an episode of America's Game on NFL Network right now, and there's a crawl on top of the screen about the channel no longer being available on Comcast after May 1.
    WTF?
    The crawl lists a website, http://iwantnflnetwork.com/, which makes it sound like the league is taking its ball and going home. Since Comcast won't put it on the basic tier, they're pulling it entirely. I pay the extra $5 a month for the sports tier, largely because of NFL Network. So they're basically telling me to go screw, even though I'm a paying customer.
    Anybody heard anything more on this?

2. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Well, that sucks. I don't have the NFL Network, but Comcast should PROBABLY put it on their basic tier of of programming because I guarantee you there will be a lot of pissed off customers about this. Comcast has the MLB Network on their basic tier, why the hell not the NFL Network?

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I have the sports tier on Charter, it doesn't include NFLN.
    I live a happier life without watching Adam Schefter.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah, NFL Network ditching Comcast.

Gary Sheffield ditching Tigers.

Republican Party ditching American voters.

(You just might have it in reverse order there.)

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

One word: DirecTV

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Here's my guess. 1. MLB charges less than NFLN in subscription charges, and 2. The way I understand it, any carrier that wants the MLB Extra Innings package will put the MLB Network on basic, or the digital tier.

The NFL negotiated its way out of using that as leverage when it reupped with DirecTV for Sunday Ticket. Why would Comcast, Time Warner or anyone else do what the NFL wants when it can't get what it really wants from the NFL?

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Plus MLB gave Comcast and DirecTV a stake in its network as well.

Really this is a game you wish both sides could lose.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I got an e-mail from the NFL about this this a day ago titled, "NFL FANS -- DON'T GET SACKED!" It didn't detail the how or why, but simply provided a link to let you know how you could get NFL Network elsewhere.

http://www.iwantnflnetwork.com/

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Can you d_b a link on the same thread within 10 posts?

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I think I proved that you can. ;)

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

d_b aside, the link doesn't really tell you anything. I actually like NFL Network. Screw the Thursday games, they've got some good stuff on there like the America's Game and the Top 10 shows. I don't mind paying the $5 for the sports tier to get it. I'm gonna be pissed if they yank it in some chickenshit power play.

12. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Sounds like the fight Big Ten Network had with Communistcast.

The rub is that the networks get paid per-subscriber. So they demand basic tier placement because *everyone* who has that cable system then is charged a buck or so a month to carry that channel, whether they want it or not, which means cash for NFLN/BTN, et al.

Moving the channel to a sports tier means only the people who want to pay extra for sports will be forking over $$ to NFLN, and that's not acceptable, because it might mean a 50% drop in revenue.

They can hold out now, hope there's outrage, and work out some "compromise" by which Communistcast will put it on the basic tier for a couple of years and then bump it to a sports tier, at which time NFLN will go complaining that Comcast wants to deprive people of their channel again.

The moment ESPN realized it could charge a per-subscriber fee to cable companies and get away with it was the moment that sports on free TV (or even "free cable TV") ended. After that, it became a feeding frenzy to move all sports to cable, and because of that, the cost of cable skyrocketed, leading to the creation of sports tiers (if you want it, you can pay for it). That was unacceptable to the nets that had planned on per-subscriber revenue from everyone, and the Cold War between the cable companies and the nets began.

Draft saved Draft deleted