1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Network — how do you play it in the TV listings?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JBHawkEye, Nov 22, 2006.

1. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I'm putting together the TV listings for tomorrow's paper.

NFL Network is listed on AP's listings, but you can't get it on the local cable system.

So, do you list it with a note that it's available to DirecTV and Dish Network subscribers only? Or do you not list it at all, since it's not available on any cable system in our circulation area?

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Well, damn, JB, why don't you ask your boss what he thinks instead of asking us?
    Or, if you are the boss, decide what's best for your readers. That would be your job.

3. JBHawkEye

Actually, I am the boss.

I asked only because I'm curious what other newspapers are doing.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I know we're listing it with in parentheses the carriers you can see it on since our major cable provider isn't carrying it, but we do have other cable and the dishes that do.

On a side note, I got a call on Monday from an NFL Network rep checking to make sure that we were listing it in our day-by-day listings, to which I told her yes.

5. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

List it.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'd list it with that asterisk note.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

NFL Network (DirecTV only because most cable systems are too fucking cheap...)

8. JBHawkEye

That probably is the most accurate way to list it.

Honestly, at $1.50 per subscriber (which is what they offered our cable system), it isn't a bad deal. Hell, the rates will go up anyway, with or without the NFL Network.

Thanks for answering my question, everyone.

9. We're listing it. But we regularly list all the DirecTV games every week, too.

10. subhead

subhead Member

Just list it normal. People know if they get it or not. The availability is different than most channels, but for ESPN, The Golf Channel, Versus and other networks, you don't put an extra note telling readers what they already know, saying they don't get the channel unless they have a dish or whatever cable package.

11. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

I've received more than a fair share of calls on it, and we're not listing it. However, it's being broadcast on the radio and we're listing that.

12. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

I'd be curious the last time an NFL game was not available pretty much nationwide. What was it like when ESPN and TNT started the Sunday night packages in the mid-1980s.

Draft saved Draft deleted