1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL: Leave the purses at home, ladies (and no more seat cushions, either)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Compared to baseball, there are more NFL stadiums located far away from downtown areas. Washington, New England, New York, Philly, Phoenix, etc. Now the 49ers are building in Santa Clara, which means if you're a Niner fan in, oh, Sonoma county, you'd better start your drive to the game on Friday morning. The fan experience inside Gillette Stadium isn't too bad (weather excepted) but the knowledge you're committing to an all-day and part of the night experience, most of it traffic, even for a Sunday 1 p.m. start is why I'd never go there unless I was working.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I generally subscribe to the "I'd rather watch it on TV." concept, but the three football teams within driving distance of us are all pretty family friendly. We try to go as a family to at least one game a year.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Buffalo is similar, great atmosphere in the parking lot and stadium but there's nothing around the place and getting in and out can be a real hassle. If you couldn't tailgate nobody would go to Bills games, although I suspect the same could be said of many NFL locales.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

true dat

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

that's to get you to eat at the stadiun

6. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Steve Rushin's account of attending a Patriots-Giants game is a must-read:

"...the combination of profanity, insobriety, high-fiving of strangers, AC/DC songs, musket-firings, flyovers, and urgent restroom heckling ("Hurry it up bro, this is game day!") was manifestly male in spirit..."

"...There was profundity in their profanity, a lyric quality to their F- and S-bombs. If the game were an episode of Sesame Street, it would have been brought to us by the letter F and the number 2."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/steve_rushin/11/09/pats.giants/index.html#ixzz2WDMVKqew

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The first time I sat in the stands at Fenway, I probably heard the c-word more times than I previously had in my entire life. Granted, that was during a loss to the Orioles, and I had the misfortune of sitting in front of this group of five assholes who could have made Andrew Dice Clay blush...

I came back years later and it wasn't nearly as bad. I was with my wife's family and I spent the whole day bracing myself for the onslaught that I witnessed the first time I was there as a fan and thankfully, it didn't happen.

8. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

But you can probably buy one for $95 in the gift shop.
    Jerry Jones is sweating this. Lots of purses on the shoulders of fans shopping the Victoria's Secret location at the JerryDome.

9. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

There's nothing around the Truman Sports Complex, either, unless Taco Bell or Denny's is your idea of an awesome post-game meal. The closest center of any kind is actually east toward Blue Springs.

10. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Oh, come on. There's a Wal Mart right across the street!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

But that's not even a Super Center!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Surprisingly misguided. Can't wait to see the suite holders forced to leave their high-priced bags behind. The NFL would be better off cutting ticket prices across the board to ensure sellouts and make sure the networks get all of their markets. When you already have a problem attracting fans to some stadiums, making the process more prohibitive doesn't help.

Draft saved Draft deleted