1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL investigating alleged harassment of female reporter in Jets locker room

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Sep 12, 2010.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

You know what? Every woman with a mirror makes that judgment call when she gets dressed every day. Is my top too tight? Are my pants to low? My shirt too short? Heels too high? We get it. Maybe it's not fair or 'equal' but this is how it is. Have breasts, will travel. Hard to leave them at home.

There is absolutely such a thing as 'asking for it.' I have no idea if that's what happened here, but if you beg for attention, repeatedly and famously, you will probably get it.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

If she was dressed as she says she was, then the problem here is with the players. Not her.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Sorry. No. Put your tits away. Utterly ridiculous.

She shouldn't be harrassed, but she shouldn't be walking around like its a beauty pageant either.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

If there were no photos and no one could confirm it, but Craig Sager said he showed up in a conservative, charcoal-gray suit one day . . . would you believe him?

Anyway, if she was dressed as she was in her Times Square standup here:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/reporter_claims_she_was_not_wearing_4HN7i4lgzPuJzWh1Ug6suK

I can't really argue with you. It's also worth noting that the Jets are obviously feeling a little . . .excited about themselves these days.

However, the shot of her doing the locker room interview, and the photo with this story (I know . . . New York Post! Murdoch!!! Blaggghhh!!!!!) show someone who might be planning a trip to the club rather than the sideline. If you watch some of the Spanish-language sports media, the goal is often to get on camera and start flirting. Her outfit in that photo falls right into that.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Here's what really infuriates me about this story: We're talking about a well-known entertainer who has worn a wedding dress to interview Tom Brady and rode on the shoulders on players, etc, tweeting about her 'embarrassment' over this incident, and we're debating it on her behalf, and if she was merely well-known before, she's now infamous.

You know how many times a day/week/month this happens to unknown female reporters, covering high schools and minor leagues and small colleges, etc, and no one will ever take up their cause? And this story becomes a national drama, mainly because the 'reporter' has a great ass??

Michael Gee is right, we have to protect our workplace, for all of our sake. But this kind of crap happens all the time to women who don't have the visibility or platform to announce their embarrassment, and that just makes me sad.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

She's tweeted photos purporting to show how she was dressed.

And unless Sager has a reputation for lying as well as bad taste, why wouldn't I trust him?

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Inasmuch as people like this cheapen the profession, if she was credentialed by the Jets then the team and league have a responsibility to ensure a civil workplace.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Was she embarrassed over this incident or being in a locker room filled with naked men for the first time.

If her usual NFL assignment is doing the Super Bowl media day sideshows, she wouldn't have any experience with interviewing players in a locker room.

Totally different situation.

And, yes, the Jets acted like jerks. But I think her "tweet" may be misinterpreted.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Unfair as that is, it's in exactly these moments - when something happens to someone sufficiently famous to cause an uproar - that we can advance the discussion on behalf of the women without the visibility or the platform.

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I haven't yet figured out what the "it" is. She got football thrown at/near her and hooted at in the lockerroom? Is that the extent of it?

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Whatever it was, Woody Johnson has apologized.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5568266

This line stands out:

Linebacker Jason Taylor, who is not part of Thurman's unit, volunteered to take part in the drills, the Post said. Jets coach Rex Ryan also got involved, according to the Post, when he had Thurman run a pattern near the sideline and intentionally overthrew the coach in Sainz's direction.

12. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Thank you!

Draft saved Draft deleted