1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL HOF adds 6: Hickerson, Irvin, Mathews, Sanders, T. Thomas, Wehrli

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Feb 3, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

If Ray Guy is not the most deserving punter to reach Canton, I really want to know who is.

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Apparently low key and classy won't get you in the HOF.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dear Shotglass: Sad but true, there's a bloc inside the committee that has enough votes to deny ANY kicker, let alone punter, entry into the Hall. One of them told me Vinatieri would get in over his cold, dead, body.
    Sadder but true, this wrong-headed bloc includes not merely some of top football reporters of our time, but friends of mine.

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Last time I checked, kicker and punter were each positions on football teams.
    In today's game, where the difference between winning and losing is so fine, kickers and punters have great value.

That whoever is determined to be the greatest punter ever and whoever is determined to be the greatest kicker ever aren't in the Hall is ridiculous.

5. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

And, if I may threadjack for a second, I'd like to offer up a player and see what folks think of his Hall chances:

Rod Smith.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Michael Irvin in, Art Monk not... I know I shouldn't be stunned, and yet... its bullshit

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Idiotic.

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Stenerud is in.

If Vinatieri isn't first ballot for being the sole reason people consider Brady better than Manning, then every one of those fuckers needs voting privileges yanked.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Vinatieri will be a lock. With the Pro Football Hall of Fame, more than other HOFs, it often comes down to, "Was he a memorable player?" as much as it does stats. Lynn Swann is a HOF. Namath is a HOF. And Vinatieri will be a HOF, because he made the most memorable kicks in the history of the league.

I think part of the problem with Ray Guy is that a lot of the voters don't think he was the best punter ever. It's sort of taken for granted by a lot of people that he was the best ever, but more than half of the punters in the league now have higher career averages than he did. Guy boomed them, but he never hit the corners. In any case, I am not sure it is an anti-punter thing, as much as a bunch of the voters have their favorite pet punter, and if that guy isn't in, they're not voting for Guy. For example, Dr. Z makes the case for ex-49er Tommy Davis as the best ever.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

I LOVE that Tagliabue missed it. This just about makes my weekend. Good. Stiff lawyer who presided over the most nilhistic, reckless, exploitative league in sports and he gets a free pass on everything. Good. May he miss the HOF forever.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

See Big Ragu's post for further correct analysis.

12. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Why is Jim Marshall not in the Hall of Fame?

Draft saved Draft deleted