1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Hall of fame finalists annouced, who's got your vote?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GB-Hack, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Before we get the fat men in the tall hats and gold-PFWA-inscripted pocketwatches coming on board to tell us how much they earned their vote and how much the bourgeoisie don't know jackshit about nothing, I know quite a few PFWA fuckwads. And the ones I know put my mother and my sister to shame in terms of conglomerate pro football ignorance.

So pay no mind to your would-be flame-tenders. Once again. They know far less than they care.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

• Russ Grimm, G, 1981-1991 Redskins
    • Ray Guy, P, 1973-1986 Raiders
    • Bruce Matthews, G/C, 1983-2001 Oilers/Titans
    • Art Monk, WR, 1980-1993 Redskins, 1994 Jets, 1995 Eagles
    • Paul Tagliabue, NFL Commissioner, 1989-2006
    • Thurman Thomas, RB, 1988-1999 Bills, 2000 Dolphins

Not sure how many you can vote for, but I'd put all of the above in eventually.

Tagliabue will get in easily. Monk's problem is he was never a superstar, but he was too damn good for to long not to be there.

Matthews should be an easy one, too. Dominant player at more than one position. Grimm should eventually go, but Matthews is more deserving.

If any punter ever gets in, it should be Guy.

3. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

That's how I roll.

4. Finally, someone agrees with me on Dent. For the others, why not?

5. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

The 400 isn't that big a difference considering Holmes played in 20 more games than Davis. I have no idea whether or not (or how seriously) Holmes' receiving numbers would be considered.

Neither one is getting in on numbers alone. They'll have to get the Sayers treatment. Sadly, I don't think Davis will get in. And while I don't care nearly as much about Holmes, I don't think he's in, either.

/admitted denver fanboy

6. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Davis was phenomenal, but he wasn't phenomenal long enough.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

If Art Monk was a lock he'd be in there years ago. He more than belongs. Even Paul Ledewski would vote for him.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Can someone explain to me why Tagliabue is included among a group of players?
    Haven't the fuckwads at the NFL figued out yet that players and coaches/owners/commissioners are separate categories?
    Hmm, let's see... who had a better career, Art Monk, Ray Guy or Paul Tagliabue?

Total bullshit Hall of Fame.

9. Yeah, it's been all downhill since the Class of '63, right spnited? :) :D ;D

10. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Monk, Guy, Matthews, D. Thomas

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Tagliabue should be kept out for a couple of years simply for the bullshit of having the Saints playing a "home" game in New Jersey.

Irvin should get in, but I think he'll be rejected for a year or two simply because of all the baggage.

Art Monk already should be in.

Dent should get in, but I think he'll face some resistance.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

My selections ...

I'm sure as hell not old enough to have seen Hickerson play, but he was probably the best lineman on a team that ran the ball better than no other in that period. Jim Brown and Leroy Kelly were great, but those holes don't open themselves. I believe he's a double-digit season all-pro.

Monk is obviously a major oversight based on his numbers, but I do halfway understand the arguments against him. He was steady, rarely spectacular, rarely game-planned for. But I still think he belongs.

I hate Irvin with a passion, but he belongs.

I couldn't remember what the maximum amount of inductees is. If its five, then Derrick Thomas is my last cut. But he deserves to be in.

Ray Guy? Maybe. But his reputation was so out of proportion to his accomplishment, and playing with the Raiders in the playoffs every year got him tons of extra pub. Jerrel Wilson from early in his career and Rohn Stark in the last half of Guy's career were equally good.

Draft saved Draft deleted