1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Hall of fame finalists annouced, who's got your vote?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GB-Hack, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Not only that, but most people don;t list any offensive lineman. There's at least one worthy. We can't induct JUST skill players, even tho they do get all the notoreity.

2. tommyp

tommyp Member

Yeah, that was hard for me to believe when it actually happened. But as far as sacks go, he was a DL, not a DE. That would account for the fewer number of sacks.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Grimm, Guy, Irvin, Matthews, both Thomases (Derrick ... barely)

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

The lack of support for Zimmerman is baffling.

5. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Davis *does* have 1 more NFL MVP award, 1 more Super Bowl MVP award, 1 more 2,000-yard season and 2 more SB rings than Holmes.

6. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I've followed the Saints for years so I'm biased, but how the hell is Andre Tippett on this list and not Rickey Jackson?

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Remember the rules. To make the HoF, the player must get a huge percentage of the 39 electors (32, I think). There are members of the panel bitterly opposed to Monk. Guy deserves it, but one of the most respected football writers in the country, and a friend of mine, told me point blank several years ago he'd never vote for a kicker and would do his best to make sure no one else did. We were discussing Vinatieri at the time.
    Tagliabue will waltz in. I think Irvin, Thurman Thomas, and Dent will be selected. Zimmerman might be. Russ Grimm might be. It usually takes OL guys longer than any other position to make it. Bob Brown was only two years ago.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Get Thurman Thomas in there, for the love of God.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Rickey Jackson was at least at one time the all-time leader in fumbles recovered.

Get his ass in there, too.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Holmes does have 400 more yards and 26 more touchdowns on the ground, rushing for the same 4.6-yard average. And Holmes does have 165 more receptions for 1,165 yards, making him the more dynamic back.

If you're looking solely at the numbers, Holmes has a great argument. Davis just happened to be in the right place at the right time. We've also seen Denver running backs come from nowhere and run for 1,500 yards, which is another strike.

For full disclosure, I don't think either one deserves enshrinement at Canton. And Thurman Thomas should already be in there. He anchored those Bills teams, not Kelly.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Thomas absolutely keyed that offense, and if any jackass doesn't believe it, talk to defensive coordinators of the time.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Sorry, skipped one. Bruce Matthews will likely be elected. That's tough luck for the other OLs.

Draft saved Draft deleted