1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL games have 12 minutes of action (95% of football is nothing happening)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by rondembo, Feb 12, 2010.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Soccer is continuos action, football is 10 seconds of action between 2 minute committee meetings surrounded by commercials for bad beer. Americans prefer the latter. Being an American I prefer football to soccer but you can't deny that the majority of the game is spent talking about playing rather than actually playing.

As George Will said, "Football combines the two worst things about America: it is violence punctuated by committee meetings." Unfortunately there seems to be much less violence and too much meeting.

2. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Rodembo's first post, pondering soccer's popularity in the U.S., got 16 pages of replies.
    This one, too, seems relevant enough. So what if the study is a month old.
    I've never heard of it.
    There's another newbie (female, with a cute avatar) on the Sudafed thread who isn't getting literally shit on by other posters.
    So why do it to rodembo?

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Check TSP's posts about your boy's previous posting history.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Because his entire schtick is to invade web forums with his spew about how soccer is dying, soccer is awful, football is taking over the world and soccer sucks. Literally, that appears to be his reason to live.

5. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Yep. Pretty pathetic.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That "soccer sucks" meme would mean about half this board are trolls. :D

7. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

And not only that, but to do it under the same screen name that he's apparently been banned with elsewhere.

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Majority rules here, I know.
    I'm just sayin'

I feel, like Rodembo, that soccer is perceived here in the U.S. as a far-cry from what it means to much of the rest of the world.
    People who care about here are soccer parents, soccer boyfriends and girlfriends, and a very small percentage of people who follow it as a sport.
    To me, soccer has its place. I saw that when I lived in Europe for 3 years recently.
    Here in the U.S., though, it most often simply gives kids a chance to say they played a sport.
    There is some skill that goes into being a standout, and some kids who actually display that skill.
    For most kids, though, its a 2- or 3-hour period of just running up and down the field.
    And a display of very little skill.

9. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

The Force is strong with this one.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

American TV ratings prove there is no accounting for taste south of the border. ;D

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

When the cars go around the track under a yellow flag, does that count as action?

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

You do know that there are people who don't read every thread on this site, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted