1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Films Super Bowl Highlights running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jan 30, 2011.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

They are just wrapping up all 30-something highlight shows right now on the NFL network, but I am guessing they will be shown again this week.

We've discussed Super Bowl V on this board for years. NFL Films really took some dramatic license with that one. As the game wound down, they elected to just show various plays to reflect the tension of a tie game late in the fourth quarter. They showed Duane Thomas being tackled near the Colts end zone (never happened late in the fourth). We've discussed the fact that the game-winning field goal shown was actually an extra point from earlier in the game.

NFL Films REALLY cranked up the drama, at the expense of game narration, for that game. But something about the colors, the sounds, the game itself. Its still my all-time favorite Super Bowl highlight film.

Fascinating still to watch Dick Vermeil, absolutely incredulous that a couple of his Ram defensive lineman begged out of the game (too gassed) in the last minute against the Titans. He absolutely can't believe it.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Love the Super Bowl ones, gobble 'em up, but my favorite all-time NFL Films show is the Bills' comeback against the Oilers.

Was watching the first 49ers-Bengals recap last night. Next year on NBC, the first time there's a dispute over catch/no-catch, they should run a clip of Collinsworth's fumble inside the 10. Under today's rules, nofuckingway did he make a football move with the ball. Incomplete pass, Bengals keep ball, probably score, and it isn't 20-0 at halftime.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Have always loved these wrapups. Fun to see them every year. Caught the great Super Bowl XIV last night, one of the best ones ever.

4. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Yes...this is the best part of the lead-up to the Super Bowl...and anymore it takes the whole two weeks to be able to catch all the highlights from years past.

I hadn't heard about the Super Bowl V story before ... that's a shame. I'm guessing it's much to do about still being a relatively new entity at that time.

My favorite for NFL Films is rewatching the drive. I could be on my wait out the door to the Emergency Room with blood squirting out my neck, but if that came on the tube, I'd plop into the recliner for an hour, then go. :)

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

18-1 coming up at 2:30 ... Can't wait.

6. Just finished xl about 3O minutes ago. Surprised JLB hasn't weighed in yet. Must be drinking and pulling his hair out at the conspiracy.

7. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

I always like the highlights of Super Bowl VIII's (dolphins and vikings) intro music. It was horn driven and used to get me pumped up to play football in high school

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm old enough to remember when ESPN would air the Super Bowl movies in a marathon on the night before the Super Bowl.
    The SBs shot indoors stink. They just do. Give me fading sunlight, shadows, footballs spiraling against a backdrop of blue sky and grass stains, air condensing in cooling skies and Facenda. There is something wrong we'll go at least a decade of going without a Super Bowl without some natural light. Three straight domes (more or less) and Jersey, last San Diego SB was 2003.
    The Best: Stram in SBIV, Willie Brown in XI, Riggins in XVII.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Agree on the natural light. The Rose Bowl games were pretty good visually.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Is that Jeff Goldblum narrating Super Bowl XLIII?

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I watched most of them last night and this morning. The only weighing in I have is how awesome they are and that there was some license taken in the XII video. You can clearly hear Steve Sabol's dubbed voice yelling at a referee with Red Miller's jaws moving.

12. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

It's tough to beat VII's intro music. Marching band drums into early synthesizer - screams early '70s.
    As for the dramatic license with early Super Bowls, Steve Sabol admitted in one of the Lost Treasures shows that they did a lot of editing of III to make Johnny Unitas look more heroic, because they were NFL guys. He also mentioned that the unique, almost tinted look to VII came from smog. The first few indoor SBs in the '70s and '80s look really grainy.
    XIV is definitely my fave - one memorable, iconic shot after another:
    - the Rams' cheerleaders pregame with all that hairspray.
    - the shiny cards held up around the stadium at the end of the first quarter, shot from the corner of the end zone.
    - Chuck Noll charging at the photographer at the end of the first half, than peeling off and laughing.
    - the reaction shots of Rams fans.
    - the last rays of sun on the San Gabriel mountains, panning back into the nearly darkened stadium.
    - Jack Youngblood walking downfield at the end of the third quarter, orange sky around him.

Draft saved Draft deleted