1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Europa folds

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Jun 29, 2007.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I, for one, won't miss it because I never watched the games and I think the results barely made briefs if at all.
    <a href="http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/06/29/sports/EU-SPT-FBL-NFL-Europa.php">
    Here's a link.</a>

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I knew a guy that went over and played there in the hopes that he would get pulled back to the US for the NFL.

The owners, meanwhile, hated the concept and are far too shortsighted to see the longterm gains that could have been made.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

There was an NFL league in Europe?

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

So we had that long discussion about whether to call if NFL Europe or NFL Europa for nothing?

Also, I guess that quelshes the last scintilla of hope for an Orlando Thunder comeback.

5. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

So the NFL is going to fold Europa -- a three-month league -- in order to focus on 1-2 regular-season games per year overseas, because they think that's what will increase the NFL's profile abroad? Doesn't make much sense to me. And given the NFL's deep pockets, there's no reason they can't do both.

6. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

As someone who paid for a trip to Europe by doing freelance features on the now defunct Scotland Claymores, I'm bummed to see it end.

7. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Maybe the NFL will finally begin a development league of some sort in the US?

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

What will happen to the Pac-10?

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

So when can we expect the big headlines trumpeting football's failure in Europe?

If this were the MLS failing, the assholes would be heard from the rooftops.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Well if someone wants to reach and compare apples to hackeysacks, sure.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, but losing money is losing money, and that story said the NFL was losing $30 mil a year.

If I was over there I'd be more excited about seeing one game with true NFL players than a whole season's worth of guys who were a cut below.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

That comes out to less than $1-million per team. Can anyone honestly state that the NFL teams are legitimately losing money on this?

This is all about the greedy and short-sighted owners.

Draft saved Draft deleted