1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Draft thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr. Sunshine, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I remember a few years ago, the Giants had a rookie lineman who was a middle round pick (like 3rd or 4th). The guy refused to go to minicamp or sign a waiver unless the Giants were willing to guarantee what he would normally get if he happened to get hurt.

The Giants refused, and were somewhat wishy-washy about the guy's point about risking his health for nothing. So the guy skipped the minicamp, and I don't think he made the team, or ended up on IR anyways.

Makes you wonder after this if more first round players decide to hold out of the minicamps unless they get some sort of guarantee.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

It's why the good teams sign everybody immediately. There is nothing to negotiate anymore. The league was very smart to do that, because there have been quite a few very high picks whose careers might have been vastly different if they were in camp on time.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

There is no way the Jags don't sign him to the full deal. My only question would be is the team still able to take out insurance on a player's contract if he's already injured?

Fowler would have been starting immediately for the Jags if he'd been healthy. I don't think too many defensive linemen taken that high sit as rookies, especially not on a team as bad as the Jaguars.

The rookie contracts are already a lot less than they used to be. If, God forbid, he never plays again, the Jaguars can eat the $23 million. To be fair, I have read or heard nothing to indicate that the Jaguars aren't going to completely honor the contract that he would have signed as the No. 3 pick. If you play for the Raiders or Bengals, don't set foot on the field without a signed contract.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

That all makes sense. It's a terrible position to be in on both sides.

Thank God he signed the insurance waiver.

Draft saved Draft deleted