1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Draft Going The Way Of NBA Draft....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Jan 16, 2008.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Well, it's not like his family needs the money ...

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Damn. It's not getting shorter?

3. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

No, you're still going to have Mel Kiper (and the rest of the ESPN team) in your living room for two days. I think a kid can still go back to school if he doesn't have an agent and then withdraws from the draft. Not sure about the "drop dead" date for a decision tho.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The deadline to declare early was this past Tuesday. I think the drop dead deadline to change your mind if you haven't hired an agent yet is Friday.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

It's not nearly the same thing. There are 15 NBA spots per team, only 2 rounds, and most 2nd round picks end up unemployed. There are 58 NFL jobs per team, 7 rounds, and many undrafted FAs make teams each year.

6. Mr. Homer

Mr. Homer Member

His REAL family might

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And it is shorter than it used to be. It was 12 rounds in the '80s (I forget when they shortened it) and it was even longer before that.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The NBA draft was 7 rounds not too long ago. What a waste of time that was. I remember reading a sidebar in the NYT one year about each of the draft chocies by the Knicks with a sentence about them. For one guy drafted in the 6th round, the comment about him was -- "someday he will be able to tell his grandchildren that he was drafted by the Knicks"

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I cannot even think of a late round NBA pick that stuck.

I think Trent Edwards of the 76ers was a third rounder.

That's all I've got.

10. Unfortunately I think the only way Xavier gets a shot in the NFL this soon is if he's willing to make a move to receiver [/xavierleefanboi]

11. Tiger16

Tiger16 Member

It actually is going way the of the NBA Draft - they've shortened the time between first round picks to 10 minutes, and the first day from 3 rounds to 2.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

All that means is that the second day is one round longer.

Draft saved Draft deleted