1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Divisional Round Thread: Colts? Chargers? Vikings? Saints? Come Out & Play!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by nafselon, Jan 11, 2010.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think there is something to that if the player's team played the entire season in warm weather or indoors, but the college to pro stretch usually is gone after a season in the snow.

Favre, Bradshaw, Starr, Simms and I am sure a lot more played college in a warmer climate but did OK as pros in the cold.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I still don't buy that the Chargers players -- but not the Jets players -- will benefit from the warm weather. Aside from their home games, the Jets played at Houston, New Orleans, Miami, Oakland, New England, Buffalo, Tampa and Indy this year. Plenty of practice in warm weather/domes. If the Jets lose, it won't be because they're not used to playing in warm weather.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Not only that, but the Vikings really haven't built off the run this year. They're effective with it, sure - how could you not be with AP? But they've really been a pass-first team this season, and their offense is much better for it.

So it really comes down to a couple of different factors: turnovers (Vikings have two turnover machines, Boys have one) and which Favre shows up.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I am saying that Revis will have a harder time shutting down Jackson than he did Ocho, just like the Jet passing game should be a little better in the warm weather.

As far as a cold team in warm weather, that has never been a problem. But warm teams traveling to cold weather seem to have been at a disadvantage because they are just not used to playing in the cold.

Just look at all the Super Bowls Houston, Fouts, Marino, Vikings post-dome, Indy post-dome have played in.

When warm weather teams do well in the post season they either have home field advantage throughout or they have a strong running game that does well in cold weather.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Re: NFL Divisional Round Thread: Colts? Chargers? Vikings? Saints? Come Out & Pl

Colts really could use a Bob Sanders about now.

This could be one of those games where TOP is like 42:00-18:00 in favor of the Ravens.

6. JackReacher

Disagree. You act like the Jets have been playing in bitter cold snow storms all year. Only twice in the regular season did the Jets play in below-40 temps. They've played in good weather for the majority of the season.

Now, if you think Revis will have a harder time dealing with Jackson because you think Jackson is better than Ochocinco, fine. But the weather will have little to do with how well Revis plays.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The Colts actually did a decent job on Rice without Sanders the first time around, though I doubt they can rely on holding the Ravens to field goal attempts on so many trips inside the 20 this time around. They did it at least six times during the regular-season meeting.

The Ravens are even more depleted by injuries in the secondary than they were the first time around with Ladarius Webb on IR, so that could also make a difference.

8. outofplace

93Devil isn't saying that warm weather will bother the Jets. He is saying that the cold hampered the Bengals last week. I'm not sure I buy it, though.

9. JackReacher

Yeah. I can see that. Sorry if I read it wrong.

Didn't Ochocinco have some sort of injury? I think that would affect him more than the cold weather.

10. outofplace

Yes, he did something to his knee in Week 17 and missed some practice time. Also, Jackson is just a better player at this point.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I think the thing about both the Colts, Chargers and Cowboys games is this -- if any of those three teams get off to a fast start and get a double digit lead, those games will be over because I don't think any of their opponents are good enough on offense -- or in the case of the Vikings, I don't think they will be able to deal with the Cowboys front seven with its ears pinned back -- to come from behind and win.

The Saints Cardinals game on the other hand - it could be 42-10 going into the fourth quarter and I would still be tuned in and thinking the team on the losing end has a chance to come back.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Re: NFL Divisional Round Thread: Colts? Chargers? Vikings? Saints? Come Out & Pl

Team A scores on its first possession.

Team B runs the ball five times, passes it four, gets 3 first downs but misses a FG.

Team A scores on its second possession.

Why does Team B need to adjust its offense, when it has only had one possession that moved the ball pretty well?

It's a knee-jerk, panic move that rarely works. All it does it tell the defense, "You can tee off on the QB now!" Which they will.

Draft saved Draft deleted