1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL cuts - and Goodell takes 20 percent pay cut

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Feb 25, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Obviously it's a PR move, but it's a good one. The NFL certainly has no claim to moral superiority over any of the major pro sports leagues. Intellectual superiority perhaps, but that would be as far as it goes.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Isn't this a $2 million a year pay cut? That's a lot more than PR bullshit.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yeah, poor Roger has to survive on $9 mill a year

4. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Agree. The expiring CBA probably has more to do with this than the economy. I'm guessing after a new CBA is reached Roger more than makes up for it.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Ok, what's the deal with your avatar?

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

What's wrong with a woman learning to use her assets creatively?

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

I am convinced of that as well. My brother-in-law works for a Big Ass Corporation, one of the biggest on the planet, and he had a dinner tonight with his boss in which he may have learned if he's being targeted for a layoff. There is no way in FUCK his company is losing money, yet they're crying poverty and saying they may have to cut out Blackberrys (I kid you not).

Fuck all those assholes. Especially the NFL and MLB, money-printing machines that they are. When we're in The Really Great Depression, it'll be the fault of the assholes who didn't need to cut at all.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

But if they cut staff, then the inevitable cry is "Is Goodell taking a pay cut? Where's the leadership by example?" etc., etc. So they're damned if they do, damned if they don't.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

He's just trying to show up Jim Calhoun.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

GET SOME FACTS!!!!

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Exactly.

Good move on Goodell's part.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

For every poor-mouthing Roger Goodell in the uncapped year, there's going to be a Jerry Jones or Danny Snyder whipping out the 12-pounder and going all Steinbrenner on the league. Probably more the latter than the former because of Jerry's stadium issues, I'll grant you.

Draft saved Draft deleted