1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL COY

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Columbo, Dec 5, 2006.

?

Who is the coach of the year through 75 percent of the season?

1. Eric Mangini, Jets

12 vote(s)
    19.7%
  2. Sean Payton, Saints

41 vote(s)
    67.2%
  3. Brian Billick, Ravens

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  4. Other

6 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. Fubar

Fubar Member

And here I thought I was going to vote for NFL Cock Of the Year. I was primed to vote for Ron Mexico, as he truly is revolutionizing this fine sport. And what a cock!

Turns out, it's just coach. I'd quietly vote for Marty in SD, but because he isn't on the list, I choose Mangini.

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Marty would be considered, but we're waiting for Martyball to show up and backfire before the season is over.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Chargers are winning the Super Bowl.

Yeah, I said it.

This is Marty's Mickelson Masters Moment.

4. Fubar

Fubar Member

Minus The Man Melons.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

That was some fantastic alliteration from the two of you. :D

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I hope so.

Doesn't deserve this stupid rap that he has.

7. trounced

trounced Active Member

No, he doesn't deserve that rap. It isn't his fault Byner fumbled on the one-yard-line. Also, many of the teams he took to the playoffs weren't as good as the teams they were playing.

With the Chargers now at 10 wins, it is the 11th time Schottenheimer has done so in his 21 seasons as a head coach. That's pretty remarkable.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Which would explain why the Chiefs took the gas-pipe at home against the Colts -- led by that Hall of Fame quarterback, Jim Harbaugh -- in '95.

Marty's always been a very good regular season coach. Heck, he went .500 managing the mess in D.C. the one year he was there. Problem is that his teams falter in the playoffs, possibly because he wears them out to the Nth degree by the time January rolls around. It's one thing to be a disciplinarian, it's another thing to run guys in the ground (also see Coughlin, Tom).

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

What, no love for Brad Childress?

Seriously...

1. Mangini
    2. Payton
    3. Parcells

People forget that the Saints have pretty good talent... Mangini is doing great with a bunch of no-names... Parcells has done a great job with a pretty dysfunctional group. How many teams have their best player attempt suicide, bench their quarterback and cut their kicker and stay in the hunt?

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Mangini had a harder job replacing a legend in New York.

11. Jimmy Pips

Jimmy Pips Member

Peyton.

The Jets' schedule is waaaaaay too soft for Mangini to win. They've played a grand total of 5 games against winning teams, lost 4 of them, got shut out in 2. And they were already a solid team before injuries killed them last year.

It'll be impressive if they make the playoffs, but it doesn't mean Mangini's done a better job than Peyton, Parcells (team was on the brink before he made the switch), Marty (1st year for Rivers, host of injuries/suspensions/arrests on defense), Billick (5-1 since he took over the offense), or even Herm (same record as Jets, much tougher division and schedule, lost HOF left tackle out of the blue, lost QB for most of the season).

12. joe king

joe king Active Member

Payton and it's not even close.

These are the freakin' SAINTS we're talking about. They were 3-13 last year and right now they've got a two-game lead in their division and they're tied for the No. 2 seed in the NFC. Are you kidding? That's borderline miraculous.

Draft saved Draft deleted