1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL considers lifetime ban/PacMan gets a year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Write-brained, Apr 9, 2007.

1. girl friday

girl friday Member

Re: NFL chief considers lifetime ban

Actually, if you look at the Patriots' draft history under Belichick (and under Kraft's ownership), being a good guy counts almost as much as how talented you are. They rarely pick guys with questionable backgrounds; Corey Dillon is one of the exceptions, and they did their homework on Dillon before they traded for him.

In 1996 (pre-Belichick), they drafted Christian Peter, then said bye-bye just days later when the details of Peter's issues were more clear (and, reportedly, after Myra Kraft put her foot down).

You can win with good guys. Talented good guys.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

You're speaking in extremely relative terms. If two guys are the same age with equal talent and project the same, a team will likely take the guy with the better character. But to say character counts "almost as much" as talent is absurd.

3. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I'm not sure if this move will occur (or if it should occur), but if there were ever a poster-child for it, it's La Pac.

4. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

When have I ever said that?

Yeah. If you wear a du rag and have some baggy jeans on, you're automatically a thug. The NBA is the only league that does this stuff. Baseball is so clean. They never do anything wrong. You know why? Because it's America's game.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

fenian - not funny at all. Your insensitive comment is borderline racist.

6. Re: NFL chief considers lifetime ban

Bump to include PacMan's yearlong suspension ... keep the racist crap out or I'll just delete it myself.

7. RokSki

RokSki New Member

We got a pool on how long before this gets locked?

FH - Just messing. :)

8. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Character plays a major factor in where players are drafted. Randy Moss and Warren Sapp would have been drafted much higher if there weren't questions about off-the-field issues. This is the stuff you have to get from scouts off the record after the combines and all -- so you're not left wondering why a guy who grades out as a second-rounder is left sitting until the sixth round. It happens every year.

There are teams like the Patriots who have extremely small draft boards -- they won't even list guys with serious issues and also take into account signability and intelligence. There are other teams like -- ahem -- the Bengals who put less emphasis on character issues. Dennis Green was a coach who thought he could work with any problem child.

9. girl friday

girl friday Member

PHINJ - thanks for backing me up here. The Titans under Jeff Fisher have usually been one of those teams that avoid problem children, but during an ESPN report on Jones a couple of months ago (I know, I know, but this was one of the things they did well), it was talked about how the Titans had a "formula" for players they'd draft, and they went totally against the grain -- their own grain -- when they drafted Pacman.

Re: the suspensions
    I think they're a bit high for both guys, but I think Goodell did it that way on purpose; now both guys will appeal, and their suspensions will come down a bit -- in my opinion, Pacman's comes down to 10-12 games and Henry down to 4-6.

Goodell had the backing of many coaches and -- more importantly -- a lot of the players when he made this decision.

Edited to say: It looks like the suspensions will have to stand; under the Player Conduct Policy, they can only appeal to.... Goodell or his "disgnee." In other words, they don't have much of a chance.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I react the same way to walking past white guys with shaved heads standing next to a pickup truck with the stars and bars emblazoned across the cab's back window.

If the shoe fits, you're wearing it.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So will Pacman's salary count against the Titans cap number this year?

Draft saved Draft deleted