1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL considering an eight-week season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

2. printdust

printdust New Member

Bullshit. That's all I got to say to this idea.
    No way does it happen.

3. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Kevin Sweeney is taking some reps in Fresno just in case they decide to have a full season without union players.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

So what's the drop-dead date in the labour dispute? The NHL waited until Feb. 15 to officially kill the 2004-05 season.

Keep in mind it will require 2-3 weeks MINIMUM once a deal is reached to sign players and get teams together for any sort of competition. Also, it's not feasible to push the season back indefinitely into February or March. So, my timeline is something like this:

DEAL BY: End of June...... training camp and season on schedule

DEAL BY: End of July .... abbreviated training camp, 2 preseason games, regular season on schedule

DEAL BY: End of August.... abbreviated training camp, no preseason, regular season starts late September, 16 games, no byes

DEAL BY: Mid September.... abbreviated training camp, regular season starts Oct. 1, 14 games

DEAL BY: End of September... abbreviated camp, 12-game regular season starts mid-October

DEAL BY: Sometime in October... abbreviated camp, 10-game regular season

DEAL BY: November 1... abbreviated camp, 8-game regular season

NO DEAL BY NOV. 1: Season cancelled

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Keanu Reeves is waiting patiently by his phone.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

KY, you beat me to it!

7. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

I'm still predicting a 12-game season.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

They'll be on the field by October.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I figured 12 games from the start of this. It'll take a missed game check or two to get the ball rolling. Once that happens, I expect rapid movement.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Now an eight-week NBA season, that I'd be in favor of.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I could envision a six-game season where everyone plays a double round-robin home and away in the divisions, then the top two in each division go into a 16-team tournament. The regular season would have to end on Jan. 8 so theoretically you could start on Dec. 4. So you could go a little ways into November without a deal, but this is the hindmost of hind tits to suck.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Decertification is still a sham, unless I'm missing something with secret meeting between the league and union in New York. I don't think the NFLPA is helping its case by deciding to meet.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6636923

Draft saved Draft deleted