1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Combine Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Agree with every word. It was always my favorite thing to cover. I loved the access, how you could go there, report on the news of the day and then come back with enough stuff for countless features to run up to the draft.

Also, I just love the setup. You hit the town every night you're there and you wind up having drinks with scouts, agents, GMs and coaches... I remember being at St. Elmo's one year and an assistant coach (who later became a HC) sat down at our table and just dished on everything you could possibly imagine.

You can make better contacts in five days at the combine than you can in years on a beat.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Watching DL. Some freaky athletes for their size. Dion Jordan 4.53 40.
    Lean mass seems to be in.

3. Mizzougrad96

When was the last time a team traded up to draft a position other than QB?

4. Mizzougrad96

I wouldn't think the No. 16 pick and No. 22 pick would be enough to move up to No. 1, even this year...

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Read, last drafted QB to start a game for the Chiefs? Todd Blackledge.
    Last QB to win a playoff game for the Chiefs? Montana.

That's some bad drafting/decision making.

6. Mizzougrad96

I think that will change with Reid.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

RE: Barkley.

It's interesting that people are so down on someone who threw 36 TDs and 14 INTs and completed 63 percent of his throws.

I watched him several times this year, and I wonder if he has a good arm or just an average arm, but I think the main problem evaluating him is Kiffin did such a terrible job protecting him. The injuries to SC's o-line were a nice excuse for what a shitty coach Kiffin is when it comes to basic fundamentals like blocking defensive line stunts.

I don't know that Barkley can be great, but I think he can be good. Maybe Flacco is a good comparison. That's probably his ceiling, if he ends up with a good franchise. Doesn't mean he'll get there, but I think you can win with him.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I'd like to take this time to apologize for my rush to judgment on Manti Teo' and the whole fake girlfriend thing.

From reading the accounts of his presentation, it really seems that he was duped and then embarrassed. He appears to be a genuine, trusting person. Here's hoping that he excels in the NFL and makes us all forget this controversy (although he got steamrolled by 'Bama; so not so sure on the performance level question.)

9. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

The Cowboys traded up to draft Morris Claiborne. Or were you referring to just the No. 1 pick?

10. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, I was only talking about the No. 1 pick... I think at this point we can safely assume a QB isn't going No. 1 this year.

11. Mizzougrad96

We were talking about the Chiefs trading the pick, I can't remember when (if ever) a team traded up to the No. 1 overall spot to take a player at a position other than QB.

That's why I tend to think the Chiefs will wind up using the pick.

12. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

That chart is kinda bullshit, though.

Unless you really believe a team would turn down five second-round picks for the No. 1.

Draft saved Draft deleted