1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL.com digital content producer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JHath, Sep 16, 2012.

1. JHath

JHath Member

NFL.com is looking for digital content producers to join our Culver City, Calif.-based desk. We're in a 24-7, aggressive newsroom that continues to push content and boundaries. I'm looking for leadership out of these DCP positions, and you'd be responsible for helping me manage a 12-person news staff while running our headline stack and communicating with reporters in the field, among other things.

You can apply here: https://www.nfl.apply2jobs.com/ProfExt/index.cfm?fuseaction=mExternal.showJob&RID=429&CurrentPage=1 or email me at justin.hathaway@nfl.com with any questions. Job description is below.

Thanks,
    Justin Hathaway
    Senior News Editor, NFL.com

Job Title: Digital Content Producer
    Position Type: Full Time - Regular
    City: Culver City
    State: California
    Travel Requirements: 0% - 25%
    Education Requirements: Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related degree preferred
    Years of Experience: 3-5
    Certification, Licenses, and Registration:
    Description: The NFL Digital Media Group is seeking editors and newsroom leaders responsible for creating and editing content on NFL.com, and helping manage the site’s home page.

Job Responsibilities:
    • Become a newsroom leader who works closely with writers and editors.
    • Select, prioritize, edit and post content of all types (text, video, photo, etc.) in a fast-paced, deadline environment, mindful of NFL.com editorial and stylistic standards and in keeping with SEO best-practices
    • Execute home-page content plan, while also making independent and well-reasoned decisions based on real-time metrics and common sense
    • Adjust home page creatively to present users a compelling and engaging content mix, particularly when this requires deviation from existing content plan
    • Think and react quickly to breaking news so the home page is always up to date and coordinated with NFLN Ticker and Network Now news updates
    • Demonstrate news judgment in editing and story selection consistent with NFL.com's editorial policies
    • Prioritize editing queue in-line with the daily content plan but informed by data provided by real-time metrics
    • Monitor wire feeds and other outside sources, including social media, to ensure the latest NFL news is represented on the site
    • Ensure all content is grammatically correct and factually accurate
    • Ensure writing style used is consistent with NFL.com's editorial policies
    • Re-write or re-work news reports to blend information from multiple sources in adherence to NFL.com's editorial policies
    • Pull together reaction to breaking news stories from various sources

Skills / Qualifications:
    • 3-5 years editorial experience, preferably in online medium and in the sports industry
    • Willingness to work overnights and weekends
    • Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related degree preferred
    • Strong written and verbal communication skills
    • Strong organizational and prioritization skills
    • Familiarity with web analytics and their application
    • Ability to self-start and multi-task while setting priorities.
    • Proven NFL knowledge that lends itself to sound news judgment
    • Strong computer skills
    • Preferred experience working in a content management system (CMS)
    • Some knowledge of HTML and Photoshop preferred

2. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Looks like a good opportunity, and a way to transition to the Web. Plus, Justin Hathaway is definitely one of the good guys to work with/for.

3. RandalGraves

RandalGraves New Member

4. JHath

JHath Member

Bump on this. Thanks to all who've applied. To answer two common questions, I'm looking for at least two DCPs, and yes, you'd have to move to L.A. for this job.

5. JeffRoper

JeffRoper Guest

My dream job. I actually applies this a couple of months back and got a rejection letter 10 minutes later

6. JHath

JHath Member

Apply again, JeffRoper. Don't know who would send you a rejection letter, but if it's not from me, it's not a real rejection letter.

7. JeffRoper

JeffRoper Guest

Well, I tried, but it says I've already applied. But I did check the email I had receive and turns out that rejection letter was for another nfl.com job I had applied for.

8. JHath

JHath Member

Bump. Keep those resumes coming.

Draft saved Draft deleted