1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Coaching changes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Oct 21, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've got to think the state of the NFL right now, without a key frontrunner for the Super Bowl, is behind some of these mid-season firings. All but two or three teams are within two or three games of their division lead, you make the playoffs and who knows what happens? The Giants showed that last year.

The injuries to Tom Brady, Manning and Romo are probably making some owners figure this is their shot. Do I think the 49ers, the Rams or the Raiders have a shot, no. But their odds aren't any worse under a new coach. Ten games left.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

All of a sudden, an all-Bible Belt SB between the Panthers and Titans is legitimately in play.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Uhh...can't call the Panthers the favorites a mere nine days after the Buccaneers absolutely hammered them.

It took nine years, but the world might finally get the Bucs-Titans Super Bowl it should have had before Paul Tagliabue fixed the NFC title game to make sure The Greatest Show On Turf made SB XXXIII.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Fanboi :)

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'd think the fact that the NFL is so wide open is actually keeping more teams from firing their coaches.

Unless you're a clueless boob like the Danny ( ::) ), most owners or general managers aren't going to fire their coaches if the playoffs are at least an outside possibility. Otherwise, we might have seen Rod Marinelli and Marvin Lewis get pink slips by now in addition to all the firings that have already taken place.

6. Simon_Cowbell

XXXIV... and Emanuel use the ground to catch the ball. Incomplete.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Ned Yost begs to differ.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Ohhh yeah. XXXIV. I always think the Super Bowl following the 1996 season was XXX. My bad.

and that Emanuel call was a barrel full of bullshit. Tagliabue made up a rule interpretation that was best for him at the time...because there was no way in hell he was going to allow Bucs-Titans to bore the country.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Hell, the Rams just beat the Cowboys and Redskins in back-to-back weeks and play in a division where 6-10 just might be the best record. Why not the Rams?

10. Simon_Cowbell

Riiight.... But Tampa Bay-Oakland was fine?

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

yeah, cause by that point at least the Bucs had a high school offense. And crazy-ass Gruden stalking the sidelines against his former employer. And who else was going to win the AFC in 2002? No Patriots, Peyton and the Colts hacked it up in the first round against the Jets, etc etc.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I said most for a reason. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted