1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I would think Cowher would want to go somewhere that has an established qb;

Of all the openings; or future openings, who has an established qb that is any good?

Carolina----negative
    Houston----Schaub is getting better
    Dallas----Romo
    San Francisco----no way
    Tennessee---Are we really sold on Vince?
    Cleveland----McCoy? in a few years, maybe.
    NYG----Eli
    Denver---The almighty or Orton?

That would leave Houston, Dallas or maybe Tennessee; I've always said he would be a good fit in Nashville.

Jerry won't let him have control of anything other than coaching.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think Cleveland may have the biggest upside of any of those jobs. San Fran can be decent quickly if they get a quarterback and if Gore recovers (two big ifs). Houston has money to spend. Vince Young will scare off most established coaches. Tebow has looked great the last two weeks, but it's easy to look good when the expectations are low and the pressure is off.

I think Garrett and Frazier will both wind up with jobs, whether it's with the teams they're with now remains to be seen. I also think the other Ryan brother will get a job, maybe in Cincy, Carolina or Tennessee.

It would be kind of interesting if three coaches were fired and then hired by other teams very quickly as head coaches and I think that could happen with Fox, Kubiak and Fisher.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

If Houston dumps Kubiak, Uncle Pat's first call will be to Kubiak.

4. Mizzougrad96

That's my guess too... Elway is supposed to be helping in the Broncos front office and he loves Kubiak. It also makes sense to bring in Kubiak to develop Tebow. It will be interesting to see if the Texans try to finagle a draft pick for Kubiak. I'm guessing they'll just be thrilled not to have to pay him the rest of his contract.

5. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I don't know why anyone would want Kubiak. He has shown that he is not a competent head coach. This team has underachieved for years, and Kubiak can take a lot of blame for that.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Change is good. As a collective group this set of NFL head coaches is probably the worst I can remember in 30 years. McDaniels. Childress. Singletary. Sporano. Mangini. Lewis. Cable. Turner. No place to go but up... at least I sure hope so.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think Jed York is going to screw it up again. Whether the Niners made the playoffs or not the entire organization is erratic. One or two more wins wasn't going to change that. He should hire a GM first who can develop a framework to operate the organization for years and not depend on one player or coach to make the difference.
    New England has turned over a ton of players, coaches and personnel people and they haven't skipped a beat.
    Another note for teams in the AFC or NFC western divisions thinking you are "close" - both divisions caught a break this year playing each other, there will be longer trips and better teams on the schedule next year.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Hiring the GM first, then the coach, is the game plan from what I've been reading. I figure both QB Smiths will be gone, which leaves David Carr, but I see him as no more than a caretaker for whoever they land in the draft, and unless he has a great fall, I don't see them being in positin to grab Andrew Luck. They're solid at WR and TE with Crabtree and Davis, and the line will gel with time around the two draft picks from last year. Defensive backfield may be a bigger question mark than QB, though.

9. Mizzougrad96

I don't think Luck is coming out. If he does, I think he forces Carolina to trade the pick, maybe to San Fran or Arizona. It would be interesting if Harbaugh gets the Niners job and then is able to draft Luck.

10. Mizzougrad96

According to the Chargers, Norv Turner will be back next year.

11. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Call it a hunch, but I'd bet Jason Garrett is back, too.

He's been Jerruh's golden boy since he arrived.

12. Mizzougrad96

I agree unless he gets a boner for Fisher. He made comments yesterday that indicated he might not have any interest in Cowher or Gruden saying something like, "Well, no coach has ever won a Super Bowl with a second franchise."

I think it will be Garrett.

Draft saved Draft deleted