1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Who stays? Who goes? Who replaces them?

Do any of the Super Bowl winning coaches without HC jobs go back to the NFL?

2. Mizzougrad96

I say Frazier takes the Broncos job.

Cowher takes the Giants job.

I think if Fisher is fired in Nashville, Houston would fire Kubiak to get him.

I wonder if the Gruden to San Fran rumor has weight.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Who replaces Coacho Ocho-Ocho in Nashville?

4. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

Any chance Kubiak going back to the Broncos?

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Won't happen, but Urban going to Denver to coach the Messiah once again would be fabulous. A media smorgasbord.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Who goes to Minnesota?

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

My humble opinion;

Gruden goes to Denver.

Holmgren goes to SF.

Shanahan gets 1 more year.

Cowher waits 1 more year before going to Carolina.

8. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

I doubt the Titans fire Fisher, but if they do, I could see him taking the Vikings job. Maybe an incentive would be the possible move to L.A. in a few years.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

My guess is the Giants make back-channel overtures to Cowher. If they can get him, Coughlin is gone. If not, Coughlin gets extended.

I say Frazier retains the head gig in Minnesota. It would keep some continuity for a talented team that is now a QB shy of a chance at a title.

Gruden to SF would be a good move for both.

If the axe falls on Fisher, there's going to be a lot of teams trying to land him. The Titans quit on him and maybe they need some new blood in Tennessee, but I've always thought of him as a helluva coach.

10. Mizzougrad96

Garrett has definitely earned a shot at the HC job. Jones is probably wishing he pulled the trigger on that move awhile ago. Granted, it's a little easier to coach when you have nothing to lose (See Mike Singletary a few years ago).

How come Bears coaches always seem to come out of nowhere to win the division when they're about to be canned? I remember Jauron pulling that 13-3 season out of nowhere several years back.

Is this the last season in Lewis' contract? If it's not, he'll be back. The Bengals are too cheap to fire a coach who they would have to pay for another couple years.

No way does Shanahan get fired this soon.

I could definitely see Kubiak go back to Denver. Elway loves the guy. If I'm Frazier, and I can choose between working for Pat Bowlen or Zygi Wilf, I catch that first plane to the Mile High City.

I wonder if Caldwell or McCarthy could be in trouble if they miss the playoffs. I tend to doubt it.

11. Wendell Gee

Wendell Gee Member

I'm hoping there's something to the Gruden-to-49ers rumor. Harbaugh has been mentioned a lot too, but I have a hard time seeing SF going with another unproven coach at the NFL level.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Gruden and Tony Dungy aren't coming back. Holmgren won't go back to the sidelines, he's in management now in Cleveland. I expect Cowher to go after the Carolina job; that's the one he's been waiting for.

Tough choice for Dallas between going after Jeff Fisher and staying with Garrett. I expect Brian Billick to land somewhere eventually and I think Denver might be a decent spot. Or maybe even Minnesota, where he was offensive coordinator years ago.

Cincinnati will go cheap (again), maybe even Dave Wannstedt. Would Homlgren take another chance on Jim Mora in Cleveland?

Draft saved Draft deleted