1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Coaching Carousel 2012-13 running thread...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Oct 31, 2012.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The idea that Buddy Nix, who fell off the turnip truck and landed at UT-Chattanooga where I covered him, is an NFL GM has long boggled my mind.

2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I think he's a good talent evaluator. If I was a G.M., I'd consider him for my player personnel guy.

3. printit

printit Member

You could make a good case that firing Schottenheimer was the biggest mistake 2 franchises have made in the last 10-15 years (San Diego and Washington).

4. printit

printit Member

1. Chargers--can't see Norv coming back if they don't make the playoffs, and they aren't catching Denver. (Denver has played most of their tough games already, they will be favored in every game the rest of the year)
    2. Chiefs- Should have been the No.1 pick. Zero chance Romeo is back next year. Winning the Packers game at the end of last season basically wasted a year of their time.
    3. Bills--Too high. They could go 8-8 and probably buy Chan Gailey another year.
    4. Panthers- Would have put them third. Think Rivera goes.
    5. Eagles- I'll believe this when I see it. I still think Eagles make the playoffs this year. (although the NFC is loaded). As bad as Vick has looked, I don't know why they don't scrap a good chunk of the playbook and let him go back to running around the field. (which is kinda what he did 2 years ago).
    6. Browns- would have put them fourth. New everywhere else, will be new coach too. Has any team hit restart button more in the last five years?
    7. Jets- No. Not if they lose out. Revis injury gives them an excuse, and Rex has done a better job there then anyone in a long time.
    8. Titans- This might be an example of how exceeding expectations can end up hurting you. They were maybe the worst 9-7 team I ever saw, (they only beat one team with a winning record last year) and set expectations too high. Locker was a huge reach.
    9. Vikings- this would really surprise me. Think they have looked good in almost every game.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, San Diego made the Jan. 2008 AFC championship game and lost to the undefeated Patriots. Yes, they've lost a couple of home playoff games that people expected them to win and perhaps that's where the criticism comes from. Seems like they do just enough to tease people into thinking this is their year. Maybe the talent isn't all that great, not at the Patriots/Colts/Steelers level of the past 5 years.

As for Schottenheimer, remember where San Diego was before he got there, perennially in last place in the division. He got them to respectability, which is what he did at most of his other stops.

6. printit

printit Member

Marty's last year they were the best team in football. They played an awful half of football against New England and got knocked out of the playoffs. Marty got fired. Norv came in, they stunk in the regular season, won ONE playoff game, lost to New England....and that's improvement? This is similar to the Bochy thread--I think you have to look at regular season more than that.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, I agree. That's why I think coaches like Schottenheimer and Chuck Knox don't get the respect that they should. It ain't easy to make the playoffs 7 times in 10 years in a parity-driven league.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Looks like Munchak
    Munchak's rising with a bullet, as they used to say about the billboard chart.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20121104/SPORTS01/121104016/Adams-puts-Titans-notice?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

That was a sad performance by the Titans today. Ya never know about Adams.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, had him pegged. He was a company man (player, assistant coach, etc.) so was a logical hire at a time when ownership knew the team was rebuilding anyway.

It reminds me of the early 2000 Dallas Cowboys with Dave Campo. "OK, you've been a good, loyal assistant for a long time, so here's your reward with a long-sought head coaching job. We're going to stink for the next 2-3 years anyway, but, hey, you get to be a head coach. As we further the rebuilding process and approach the point where we can realistically think of contending again, we'll go get a proven coach. But for now, you're here and you're cheap. So enjoy."

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd put Garrett on the list with the way things are going with the Cowboys.

I also am curious if Sean Payton's status could factor in here. If he's a coaching free agent after the season, I could definitely see Jones making a run at him.

12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

No question about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted