1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Coaching Carousel 2012-13 running thread...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Oct 31, 2012.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

To clarify, the 2008 Chargers started 4-8, won their last four, including a blowout of the Broncos, and won the division.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And Mike Shanahan was fired two days later.

!@#$%$

Correct. Including one of the biggest upsets in playoff history, most likely denying the Donkeys three straight Lombardis.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That's my point. Schedules and injuries are not always equal. Being 4-8 certainly isn't the recommended way to go. But you're still in the conversation and, thus, not likely to throw in the towel and make a coaching change.

4. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

Because the owner has either directly said or implied enough for it to be reported that the reason why the GM was fired was because he hired the current coach. That has a tendency to make a coach's seat rather warm, especially when the team's record isn't good to begin with.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

There is not a chance in this world that Romeo is coaching the Chiefs next year.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The AFC West should hope that the Chargers win the division so they can get a few more years of Norv in charge. He should have been fired years ago, but that franchise is run by idiots. With all the talent that team has had in the last several years to not even have an AFC Championship Game appearance is just laughable.

There was a reason why no one wanted that job after Schottenheimer was fired.

For anyone to have a chance in San Diego, the coach and the GM have to be fired.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

JCM,

To clarify, there's no question that Ron Rivera's seat is uncomfortably warm. But to claim that this was the reason Marty Hurney was fired doesn't stick.

Hurney didn't get the talent he acquired to produce. Worse, his drafts - beyond most of the first-round picks - have not panned out. Additionally, he gave away one first-round pick for a second-round that became Everette Brown (colossal flop), another to get Jeff Otah (lots of ability but softer than Charmin, made worse by the notion that part of his reputation was built on being a tough, road-grader type of blocker) and handed over a high second-round pick for Armanti Edwards (who has done very little during his time in Charlotte).

Ron Rivera hasn't gotten the job done in the clutch too much over his year-plus. But Hurney's firing was for much more than one reason. It also was to send a message. Richardson and Hurney were especially close, and if the former was willing to can the latter, it sends a message loud and clear that a thorough housecleaning could be next.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Didn't Richardson once fire his sons? Now that's a message.

9. Mizzougrad96

I wouldn't be stunned to see him get an interview, but I think he's probably a couple years away from getting an offer as a NFL head coach. I think he could get a college HC job pretty easily if he wanted one.

10. Mizzougrad96

I wonder how long it takes for Josh McDaniels to get another shot... I wouldn't be stunned to see him on the list to go to KC...

11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be stunned, but given the Pioli fiasco I would be pretty surprised if Kansas City sniffed another Belicheck disciple.

12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I like Buddy Nix, but it is probably time for both he and Gailey to be replaced.

Draft saved Draft deleted